Critique > Pixel Art

[WIP] Anyone knows how to make hands?

<< < (2/2)

daramon:
A quick point as you asked for help with palettes. Apart from the overall darkness and lack of highlight shades, have a quick look at the reference picture. You'll see that the highlights are generally warmer (more reds in this case) and the shadows colder (more blue).

This is a good tip for picking pixel art palettes. Take a mid shade of the color you want. Don't oversaturate it! but don't make it too dark either. Now create your darker shades by taking down the value and shifting the hue towards a colder color. Do the opposite with your lighter shades.

I cheat; Pyxel Edit provides a range of shades with this kind of hue shift in the palette editor. :)

The hue shift adds interest and makes the final image more appealing. You can experiment with saturation shift as you get darker and lighter as well. Saturating light and mid tones can get a bit eye-searing, so be careful.

tiger_robocop:
I'll attempt hue shifting more, then. It's something I had learned about, but whenever I try doing it my brain goes "you fool, you don't know what you are meddling with", and then I hue shift so little it almost looks like the same color.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version