AuthorTopic: A Few Sprites  (Read 3135 times)

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

A Few Sprites

on: March 17, 2007, 11:35:48 pm
Aight, so I was trying to play with less colors... I did this sexy girlie with 15 I think? Is that too many for something like this? I am not used to trying to reduce color pallettes. Anyway, crits welcome. ;D

---> Edited

Also, I am working toward doing a small underwater scene since I am such a fish nut so I did these leetle feeshes. 6 colors each. Crits welcome on this as well.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:03:07 am by abzdragon »

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Re: A Few Sprites

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:55:13 pm
Nice, but I think legally you have to use 18 colors on the girl. :lol:
The face is great, I like the little smile. I think there is maybe too much space between her two legs and her hips look weird. The fish look nice as well, maybe turn the orange one into a clown fish maybe.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:10:38 am
pretty good!  I dunno if there's a more PC way to put this but it looks liek the bottom half of the girl's crotch is missing?  It just sort of...stops.  Her knees look over-defined too, and I'd monkey with her arm length a tad, she has very long forearms; likewise her thighs are a little on the short side.  The selout is a little distracting here, as it works well in some of the flesh areas but is distinctly absent in others, like her clothing; that's not really working for me.  You've got a smidge of pillow-shading on her forehead as well that is at odds with some of the more defined light sources on the rest of her body.  The fish are pretty cute, but I'd use a wider range of color when you're shading them - right now the green fish uses green, green, green, green, and green; leetle feeshes are a perfect place to experiment with more diverse color ramps, since there are so many potential reflected and ambient light sources in the ocean!

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:04:45 am
Hmm... I have never heard the term "selout" before, so I don't really know what to do with that advice. Heh. :-[
Also in response to her "crotch" area... when I draw figures with pen and paper I tend to use angular lines and that usually includes an almost box-like crotch area and exaggerated triangular elbows and shoulders. If it really detracts I will try and fix it.
About the feeeeshies. What's wrong with the green? I tried to make it go from a more blue green to a yellower one. I understand that if I put them in an ocean setting the highlights will most likely be more blue of course.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:33:30 am

quick edit - he's still green but he has a lot more vibrant colors,i couldnt help playing with his face too, sorry!  selout is short for 'selective outlines', basically any broken or partial outline.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 06:21:31 am
He looks like he's frowning now :( But the colours are much easier on the eye. Hue shifting really adds to the colour depth of a piece if you use it accurately.