AuthorTopic: Hourglass  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Hourglass

on: March 17, 2007, 08:44:34 am

I donno: I couldn't get to sleep, and I wanted to try something more restrictive than 16 colors, so the result is this 64x64, 8 color hourglass.
Reference.
Comments and critiques are encouraged.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Hourglass

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 08:52:59 am
The orange color makes it look like it's made of rusted metal to me, rather than wood and I see the green as some kind of moss (like the stuff found on some trees). I like it.

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 09:47:28 am
looking good! though I'm not to sure about the green in there... IMO you could have swapped the green for a darker orange/red/brown to highlight the wood a bit more... but then again, I can also spot the same colors (orange, green and blue) in your avatar, so it might be part of your style?
non the less, pretty impressive for 8 colors

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 02:34:19 pm
Looking good. I see a common mistake here that most usually do when using reference. Instead of drawing what's there, we draw what we assume it will look like. (The left  brain-half loves doing that.) You've made shadows a lot lighter and skipped a lot of the details in the glass itself. Quick edit to show what I mean:

I feel the orange is a little intense right now. You also have a gray that's about the same hue. Maybe you could Remove the gray and put in a less saturated orange instrad?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 03:26:41 am
--->

Wow, I am amazed that I actually forgot about the shading in the glass, great pointer snake.  And yeah, I plead guilty to the left-brain-half-filling-in-blanks bit.

And Squirrelsquid, you're dead on for the reason of my reoccurring red (or orange as you all say...maybe I'm color blind  :-\), green, and blue schemes...kinda based on the structure of a pixel I guess  ;).

Thanks for replies; more are welcome!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.