Critique > Pixel Art

Pixelating Fire

(1/2) > >>

Yokai90:
Hey again, made another post.

Decided since I was doing some pixel art I would try again to pixelate fire. This is only my second time so I have some ways to go.

As always, feedback and tips are super appreciated.

Yokai90:

A friend pointed out to me that the overall color of the fire looked more of a brown tone than red, so I quickly fixed that!

eishiya:
The new reds are an improvement, but the yellows and oranges feel duller and less glowing/fire-like now.

I feel your AA and general thinness of some of the intermediate colours make the fire look blurry, I think perhaps eliminating 1-2 colours and having sharper boundaries between colours would help. The blurring around the yellow part in particular makes it look like there's a rounded hard shape inside the flames, rather than like the hottest part of the flame.

Yokai90:

@eishiya
I totally see what you mean as the previous fire being blurry! removed some color and reworked a little as well as up the saturation for the yellows and oranges.

Hopefully overall its an improvement from the first

daramon:
Just a random comment. While the most recent fire looks more well-defined and pixel-art-y, I preferred the overall shape of the original.

It told a story. I knew from looking at it that there was wind or a gust of air, which direction it was going in and how strong it was. It was dynamic.

The most recent one doesn't seem to have a narrative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version