AuthorTopic: wow is me for i have tiled..... and now made a fadavtar! w00t  (Read 8124 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile
started on some top down tiles to try and do better than my previous efforts.. here is what i have so far...

UPDATE!!!
thanks muchos for the edit adar's :D... think this is better

been a while since i updated but been busy on web jobs and course stuff. aaanyways... here is where the tree currently stands...

... gimme comments on both i dont see the need to open up a new thread for the fadav.

thanks.
Artisan

Old Images:

4th - http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4204/tilesqy0.gif
3rd - http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/4783/tilesow1.gif
2nd - http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2261/tilespa9.gif
1st - http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2932/tilesce3.gif

p.s.. if you want to see my previous efforts click > http://www.xaoss.com/portfolio/images/pangaea.gif

thanks,
artisan
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:44:26 pm by artisan »
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Hawk

Re: wow is me for i have tiled

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:09:51 pm
Well first off there is an issue with the tree because you use two styles, both incomplete becausee they share. The left side of the tree that you are trying to inact shading over is more detailed, and tree like then the faded remainder of the tree. Usually when shading you do it was a whole, not just the change in the under brush. The base is alright, and not much to complain over. Though my advice would just be to follow through with the style that you example on the left side of the tree throughout the entire tree. Now about the ground. Usually unless you intended it to be tiled ground for farming, it never has lines. i would suggest ditching the lines, and adding detail through other manners. Finally on the grass you have created it to look like there are shrubs among the grass because of the large portions of differently shaded areas that you use. If your going for a grass style it should be diverse, and not have any same color blotches/connections in one area unless you intend to make a larger creation such as a bush, etc. Finally, if this is a tileset add variation, not just the same tiles copied over and over again, because it ruins it. Diversity is key in any artistic creation, especially landscape.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:48:06 pm
I really like the colors you used for this. If you are trying to show a lightsource from the rightside you should probably remove that dark line you have outlining that side of the tree and go with something lighter. And it's much improved from your last attempt!

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:00:20 pm
don't the root of the tree look very strange?

looks like its a bunch of sticks put together....

otherwise I like it, or... I like it anyway.... but the root are as mentioned, a bit odd...

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:38:22 am
I have to say, I like the colors, too!  But I don't like how the tree looks like a perfect Sphere.  A good way to do it is to bobl a bunch of sphere's together, then rough 'em up with leaves.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:15:25 am
This is real, real cool. I 'specially like the treetrunk.
I can see some lines in your grass, but not do to bad tiling but rather due to there being actual lines through the tile. Like a plus sign. The grass is a bit noisy, but not too eye-jarringly so. At least not to me. Still, a little toning down or variation would benefit it. The...very middlest tone on the tree could be darkened a bit, I think. I agree about the lines in the dirt though. They do make it look like it was tilled (not tiled) or something.
Oh, and the leaves could cast a shadow on the upper trunk/tree could cast a shadow on the grass.
But really, very nice.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:27:27 pm by Xion »

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 06:26:08 am
I think the grass is a bit too detailed at the moment. I have a feeling that any characters laid over the top would be lost. Perhaps dumbing down the amount of detail in the grass but somehow keeping the great colours you have at the moment might help out? Also the tree and flower details will stand out a bit more. At the moment they're blending in as well. Maybe a slightly darker outline or shading outline on the tree might help.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:35:41 am
Either dumbing down the detail and keeping the color, or he could just tone down the saturation/brightness of the grass so it doesn't look as bright.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:51:11 pm
the grass is wonderful, but I think the dirt needs to stick out less. Like try to make grass sticking over the dirt, and maybe round it a little. Really rather nice though.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:07:54 pm
UPDATE!!!

i think i will keep the old dirt for farm land... and will add crops and stuff... hows the new dirt and transition tiles? i plan to add sloped ones too to make the shapes less square.

as for the tree i plan to redo the top of it... edits are very very very welcome.. or other pixel references to get ideas.

thanks.
Artisan
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler