AuthorTopic: pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]  (Read 16880 times)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: pixel self portrait + other stuff

Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:57 pm
The art looks great, but I've got a code comment: on the art and writing pages, the mouseover of the little boxes in the lower left corner defaults to "art_file9.jpg" instead of blank.  That is to say, it displays the proper name in the lower right corner while mousing over the box, but when the mouse moves away, it reverts to "art_file9.jpg".  Hope that made sense...

[EDIT] Correction: it doesn't revert to "art_file9.jpg"; it reverts to the last shown image.  I'll assume this is correct, then?  Although I would assume the default text should clear when you switch from the "art" page to the "writing" page, right? [/EDIT]
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 08:42:55 pm
robalan - Yes, its supposed to be the last clicked file, but you're right, it acts weird when you change categories, I need to set it to auto-open the first image in the category anyways I think, that will clear everything up - thanks for the bug!

EDIT - Actually rob i just tried it, and the default text does clear when I switch from art to writing, not sure exactly why its messing up for you!

EDIT AGAIN - AH HA!  I see.  It's the mouse out before you click on anything in the new category, good eye!  I'll fix that straightaway.

mustard - yeah i think lawrence mentioned that earlier, does anyone have a good snippet for doing that?  I can research it later too, but if someone has a tried and true method that's cool too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:51:57 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 10:26:57 pm
Code: [Select]
if (document.images) {
  preload_image_object=new Image();
  image_url=new Array();
  image_url[0]="gfx/menu_me.gif";
  image_url[1]="gfx/menu_art.gif";
  image_url[2]="gfx/menu_writing.gif";
  image_url[3]="gfx/menu_tunes.gif";
  image_url[4]="gfx/menu_pugs.gif";
  for(var i = 0;i<=image_url.length;i++) preload_image_object.src=image_url[i];
}
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:28:40 pm by Dusty »

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 11:02:20 pm
Heh, yeah it's just a little thing, and my description was not so great.  Glad you figured out what I was referring to.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:05 pm
Awesome, thanks dusty I'll give it a shot tonight!

EDIT - Ok the preloader code should be in and operating, let me know if you guys see any mouseover delays, thanks again!

DOUBLE EDIT - the 'me' and 'art' sections are more or less fully live now, as is the XML backend.  The writing, tunes and pugs sections are still just stubbed; pugs will be easy, writing a little trickier, and I think I may have to make a special flash player to get tunes to work the way I want, we'll see...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:11:15 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Ok so the art and pug sections have stuff in them now but after playing Poyo last night (thanks a lot, ptoing) I finally figured out what I want to do with this URL i registered a while back:

http://wiigotfliis.com/

Trying to present it in kind of the Wii style - minimalistic, lots of white and some light gray.  Did I go too far?  What would you do to make it look better?  I want a retro vibe, but also a wii vibe, and to be perfectly honest I don't have time or the inclination to do an elaborate tileset on this one.  Thoughts?  Brutal slams?  The intended viewing size is 4x.

EDIT - If you can, view that URL on your Wii, because the saturation is waaayy higher, and I had to really bleed the colors out to get the effect I wanted, at least on my tv...

DOUBLE EDIT - I should probably explain slightly what's going on there - you play as the big flea, with your rabble of boy and girl fleas running along behind you.  As the big flea, you can jump at least 2 tiles vertically and horizontally, while the baby fleas can only jump 1 tile each direction.  This would be a flash game using the new wii flash API that lets you use the d-pad, 1 and 2 buttons.  Button 1 would jump, Button 2 would toggle "follow me".  Cute sound effects will abound.  Currently the only game objects that I know I'd like to have are pushable boxes, door-switch pairs, and these kind of rubber-band platforms that sink when you put something on them, and click into place at a certain depth.  Poyo has a bunch of really fun little tile-based things, as does Mario vs Donkey Kong, and I'd like to get some of that ingenuity packed in here.  Levels will probably be loaded from XML, as will various physics settings (another important lesson from Poyo).  I really, really want to have branching paths/secret levels as well, that will be my one "hardcore" element I think.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:23:44 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I know sometimes simple things are the most appealing...but, IMHO, this is just too simple. I mean...Yeah...That's my only thing. Make things shiny maybe? Reverse the grey/white parts so the floor is white and the bg grey? I dunno...I mean, it sounds awesome (and cute) but just looks too simple to the point of just plain plainness.

If you could have the little flea dude(s) dynamically squash and stretch and have like, little ambient things going on in the bg it would be soo cool.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile
I think the reason the minimalistic style works on the wii is because it's AA'd to death, and all the graphics are cute.  A little AA would go a really long way with this.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
xion - yeah the flea animations will be very squashy/stretchy for sure

sharm - i'm leaning that way too, I think i'm gonna have to do the pixel art at 640x480 instead of the 1/4 size, and just make nice smooth curves in the appropriate areas.

I'm not sure how I feel about glossing it up yet, but I'm gonna try a few different things later tonight, I think I know where I'm going with it all now, thanks for the feedback!

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile
about the website - viewing your images is kind of a pain to me, those small squares are a little hard to click and i don't even know what i'm clicking. maybe a next/previous button so you don't have to keep looking up and down to view the image and then click a new box?