AuthorTopic: pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]  (Read 16882 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: pixel self portrait + other stuff

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 09:06:05 pm
I think the pencil in the ear one stands out because it's static...

Maybe if you have the pencil in your mouth?
ooo that's pretty good - i really like that!

alienquark - yeah the shadow doesn't change, the image is not quite wide enough and I was too lazy to fix it, it's totally on the list though, thanks for noticing!

lawrence - yes i agree, i will look into how to do that, i've never actually tried it before, i assume its just an extra line or two of JS?

darien - hahaha i love it, may not suit the style here but i love it

helm - aww i love venice classic :(  its so hip yet retro!  do you have a particular suggestion as a replacement?

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 09:55:09 pm
For art use a tablet. I think it would make sense for a pixel(im asuming) gallery.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 11:19:32 pm
yeah i actually use a convertible notebook for all my pixel art now, so I'd like to be able to incorporate that somehow, but the gallery will be mixed natural media, pixels, graphic design, lots of different junk that just doesn't suit the studio site, not to mention 3d models, etc etc.  So still not 100% on where I'm gonna go with that yet...here's a mockup of the active site layout though.  When you click any of the 5 menu items the giant thought-bubble div will appear and load stuff out of XML files using my existing code from the studio.  The menu system for this is a little simpler though - if there are 11 files in this category, it will create 11 buttons (those little squares there).  The buttons themselves will be 4x4 transparent .gif files, with colored HTML img tag borders around them so that I get automatic visited/not visited coloration/highlighting.  As you mouse over the squares the filename will appear in the bottom right of the thought bubble.  The remaining space will be filled either by image files or by direct ajax->updates of other HTML files for more organized content.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 12:21:04 am
Wow, that is really going to be fun to navigate. I really like the idea of this being a thought bubble. :y:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 12:38:48 am
Thx, I got the basic DHTML expand function working now:

http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/

No content still, and the expand doesn't animate (yet), that could happen later though...

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 12:50:45 am
<!--[if IE lte 7]> <![endif]-->
This is in the corner of the page.
But awsome so far.

Offline rougewisp

• the other side of the pillow
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 01:01:19 am
I think that if you're viewing the page for music, the animation on the left should only be the one for music, and the hover->change spiel should only be when you aren't on a given page.
for great justice

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 03:12:01 am
Rougewisp, you're 100% right, i am going to add a var for page state so that the onmouseout functions return the proper image state, its pretty confusing as it is.  Just didn't get there yet :D 

Soup, what browser are you using?  Those are standard XHTML comments and they're in the header nonetheless, they should definitely NOT be showing, any extra info you have about this would be helpful!

EDIT - fixed stupid browser detection comments appearing for no reason, also added better image states for onmouseouts, and added some bouncing thought bubbles: http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:02:28 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:15 pm
Rougewisp, you're 100% right, i am going to add a var for page state so that the onmouseout functions return the proper image state, its pretty confusing as it is.  Just didn't get there yet :D 

Soup, what browser are you using?  Those are standard XHTML comments and they're in the header nonetheless, they should definitely NOT be showing, any extra info you have about this would be helpful!

EDIT - fixed stupid browser detection comments appearing for no reason, also added better image states for onmouseouts, and added some bouncing thought bubbles: http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/
It's fixed now. Also, the website it is looking great!

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 07:32:13 pm
My suggestion would be for you to preload all the images, so that they show at once when you hover :) This looks great so far :D