AuthorTopic: pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]  (Read 16877 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]

on: March 17, 2007, 06:34:13 pm

Part of a splash graphic for the new version of my personal site; inspired by old lucas arts games + craig mccracken/genndy tartakovsky.  I want a flat, graphic designery style, but I don't want pros to look at it and go "wow what a shading copout" either - so any pros out there, if you want to weigh in and tell me whether or not this makes me look like I'm lazy, I'd appreciate it!  Icons and other such stuff will be arriving forthwith...

Oh also it will be displayed at 2x on the site.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:01:41 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Re: pixel self portrait + other stuff

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:53:18 pm
realy nice so far! Maybe some AA with the already present darker colors would look good, but I kinda dig the flat look... still I'd be curiouse how it would look with some slight cell-shading?

keep it up!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:54:15 pm
I'm no pro, but if my opinion can help, here it is. What you're trying to do is a very difficult thing. Clean, spartan design usually is a problem with pixel art because - yes - it just looks like fast work, let's move on. I suggest just a bit more shading, a subtle highlight, showcasing some pleasing aa work. Not too much, don't need to amigafy this, but don't just leave it with primaries either.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:55:29 pm
one thing might do would be to add some selout with those detail colors, depending on what the background color on the website is.  

if your website is a light color though, this is fine, and looks very well done.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 06:57:28 pm by eck »
untz untz untz?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 06:57:48 pm
Selout = evil.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:04:46 pm
thx for the feedback guys - yeah selout, or really outlining at all is kind of not gonna happen on this piece.  partly because outlines have become a crutch for me as an artist, and partly cuz it just won't suit the effect i'm going for.  helm thank you for the edit, i had some similar shading like that earlier, I will keep playing around with it.  I like the highlight on the hoodie stringss, and the hood and sleeve bend shadows do a LOT without changing the style of the piece, I might just steal those...

Also here is basically how the image will be used:  http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/  More or less just floating there.  There will be little toys littered around the imaginary ground plane.  Any votes on whether or not there shoudl be some kind of real background or environment behind the character?

Thanks again everybody

EDIT - I updated the sprite to include some of those hot edits:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:16:35 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 08:58:16 pm
Oh, one thing you migth wanna do is a castshadow onto the white. For all the objects of course.

I suggest blueish shadow. Will ground it nicely onto the background,
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 09:12:01 pm
Wonderful edit, Helm.

I like the simple style on this, bold colours. Very Impressive.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 05:55:22 pm
Thanks guys, here is the animation for the "music" menu item mouseover:

EDIT - and for the 'art' item mouseover:

DOUBLE EDIT - and for 'writing':

TRIPLE EDIT!!!  - last but not least, for the pug pictures section:

I'm working on page code to get the basic rollover action working right now, that should be working shortly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:02:21 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 06:43:15 pm
Hmm nice, I like the simplicity. With the writing sprite thing, the pencil looks more like it is floating above his ear, instead of actually resting between it and his head. The whiteish shadow seems out of place, I would go without it. And, would it be correct to assume that the pencil is so thick so people can tell what it is? The talking animation looks a little fast, but I really love this sprite..thing, and Helm, that is a beautiful edit.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.