AuthorTopic: [almost-finished] not another iso room.  (Read 12886 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

[almost-finished] not another iso room.

on: March 15, 2007, 09:45:07 pm
yes it is another isometric room with stereotypical furniture + a mac  :D

Quite heavily Army-of-Trolls inspired.

will add shadows last, and yeah the NES is a tad oversized - but it needs to be recognisable as im going to turn this into my website layout with clickable furniture etc...

Thanks to ptoing for a nice edit.

this is a WIP, but please don't hold back on the critique.

Current:

old Versions:
http://pixelheart.net/junk/room4.png
http://pixelheart.net/junk/room3.png
http://pixelheart.net/junk/room2.png
http://pixelheart.net/junk/room.png
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:02:55 pm by Feron »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] not another iso room.

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:58 pm
Not bad, i like the gleem of the desks.

My only critique is that the floor should go under the trim, as it'd be weird it ti wasn't.

Also fill that shelf man.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:55:49 pm
I like how you changed the shape of the room to be something other than a complete box, however the ceiling over the computer now looks very short and would prevent anyone from standing.  The NES looks like it might be a pixel or two wider than an actual NES.  I assume you are likely going to be adding a few more household objects in as well?

Awesome work though dude, I love the clean comfortable feel to it. 

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:15:31 pm
That NES lloks HYUGE!  Not in a bad way though  *snuggos the NES*

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:16:15 pm
and yeah the NES is a tad oversized - but it needs to be recognisable as im going to turn this into my website layout with clickable furniture etc...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:28:16 pm
higher ceiling, way better windows imo, and added some books woo!

Thanks for kind words, yeah there will be a ton more objects, ege chair/sofa, paintings, a bin, filing cabinet, phones, more books, a rug or two, plants.  Thats all i have planned for now, if you got any suggestions i wouldnt mind hearing them!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:31:14 pm by Feron »

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:44:43 pm
Perhaps some tiny details like cords from the NES, electrical sockets, light switches a clock might give it a move "living in" feel? Maybe even a power bar to protect all these expensive electronics? ;D Just trying to think of some more necessity type stuff aside from luxery items. 

I can't wait to see it once you add the extra objects you mentioned.   

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:53:37 pm
I like it, anyway you need to add shadows :). The desks and stuff doest really cast any shadows :).

Hawk

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:30 pm
Mouse Pad
Power Button (For the apple macintosh, usually located in the south right corner.)
Scroll Wheel (Nearly all wireless mice have them.)
Bed (Typically there is a bed.)
Window Screens (Typical Realism Factor)

The above are just some basic exclusions you forgot. Though in terms of realism you should move the desk away from the wall a bit for cords, etc. Redo the TV stand, becaus it frankly the design would cause it to lean forward/bend/break via cracks. Also in this case if you might be going for realism, try to stray away from the paint bucket, and go for a spackle technique on the walls, dirt/worn-out blemishes on the floor boards, and various natural wood stains for the wooden furniture along with different color tone. Then go for just some random props. such as pencils on the desk, possibly some posters, random stuff laying around, maybe some game cases, controllers, and whatever random props could be incorporated with it.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:31 am
Mouse Pad
Power Button (For the apple macintosh, usually located in the south right corner.)
Window Screens (Typical Realism Factor)

just crossed off the things that aren't in the room where i keep my computer.  hawk does have a point though in that the room is very empty for it's size.  most people tend to let the shit pile up if it isn't their work office, and even then the shit tends to pile anyways.

PS - nice Encuclopedia of Modern Art on the shelf :P.  You may not have been thinking about it when you made the book, but it looks pretty much exactly like the four-volume set at my local library.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:43 am
Mouse Pad

I don't use a mousepad.
You thinking of the old skool macs, they power button on mine is on the back.  There are also no cables, just one power cable.  The apple mighty mouse has a tiny scroll wheel - not even big enough for 1 pixel.  Yeah there normally is a bed, in bedrooms - but this isn't a bedroom, its an open plan living room / study.  

I'm not really gonna clutter it up, its got to be clean-cut stylistic, because its going to be my website it must be easy to use.

The rest of your points are good though, thanks for input.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 01:18:44 am
I think the mouse should be bigger to fit in with the clunky, clean style everything's got. It looks too realistically proportioned and shaped, out of place among all those hard edges and massive gaming systems.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 02:55:56 am
I like how clean and clear it is. It's nice to see people not just throwing detail on for the sake of it. Also that NES is HUGE! Not in a bad way though. Looks exaggerated.

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:00:10 am
Oh I really love this piece. I have to agree to Grindie about how nice and sharp everything looks. I don't think you should add any true griddy looking texture because it would change the whole atmosphere of the picture. I only have one suggestions as of now. How about adding a sky, or skyline visible from the window? It might add a bit of character to the room. Well anyway, that's all I have in terms of help. Goodjob and keep it up. Oh and I forgot to mention, I love the size of the NES ;D.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:48 am
I like how there is a second color on the table, shelf-top to make them looked polished. I think the screen of the apple is maybe too messy compared to the
rest of the piece (did you take a screenshot and reduce it in size?). Also the stand on my mac is angled. Can't you fit a bite in that apple?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 08:19:57 am
I think the screen of the apple is maybe too messy compared to the
rest of the piece (did you take a screenshot and reduce it in size?). Also the stand on my mac is angled.

Yeah im a dirty cheater with the mac screen, i'll properly pixel it later on though.

The mac stand is the most awkward shape to do in iso, feel free to make an edit.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 04:27:29 pm
I thought the mouse was a usb pen/drive at first, looks a bit rectangular and too small for a mouse.
Looking great otherwise!
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 12:38:26 am
update (see first post) - more books, bigger mouse, better imac stand, smaller nes,

I've also started a chair, but i need advice on dimensions and forms.  I dont like my generic chair - but i want to keep the blocky style.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 05:11:08 am
Looking pretty neat so far. :)

On the update though, there're a few things that bother me. I don't really know how Mac monitor stands are, but yours seems to come out really far from the front of the monitor. Sort of looks like a duck's head getting squished, or something. :D

Also, I think the chair could look nicer if the line on the part where the armrest/side of the chair and back part meet were to... not be there.

Amidst this sea of terrible grammar and confused sentences, hopefully you can find some useful critique. :lol: Keep up the good work.

Hawk

Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 07:34:40 am
About the books, the top row where the two green books are. There is a heavy sense of difference in the lighting so the right book looks larger than the left. Assuming they are the same book, this may be an edit you want to look into. Also in regards to an office I would suggest adding a lamp, a night stand/basic counter as well as a couch to make it look a bit more office type. I did some looking back on some real life examples from a few acquaintances and they have a pretty basic sense of style between them with a desk, TV, couch, lamp, CPU, side table, and a small reference of books or CDs. So either way feel free to take my critique to mind if you want a comfortable office/den/living room.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 10:30:17 pm
.. with a desk, TV, couch, lamp, CPU, side table, and a small reference of books or CDs.

got desk, TV, couch would be too big, might add a lamp, macs dont have CPU's, got books, will add some cds under the TV.

Updated, see first post.  Thanks to Jalonso for a few pointers on the proportions.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 10:39:26 pm
Is there a second meaning of cpu (the only one I know is central processor unit), or am I missing some irony?
Actually I don't get why someone should draw a cpu somewhere in a normal living environment. O_o

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 10:47:53 pm
I believe it's misusal of the word. Feron is referring to the computer's case.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 10:52:28 pm
Shouldn't the NES have cables?

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 10:58:09 pm
oh yes, that makes sense, thanks.

So at the original topic:
great work, it's been a long time since I saw a "clean" iso piece that I liked as much as this. I guess it's the palette that makes me like this so much :)
what you might want to add, are some shadows here and there. To me it seems strange that the desk is throwing a shadow on itself, while not throwing a shadow on the floor.
This is a stylistc choice, but imho this would be an easy thing to do (or test), and could make quite some difference in terms of depth.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 11:59:09 pm
In my first post i did say i will add shadows last.  theres no point me adding them now, when i don't know what else is going to be in it.

Yeah, i probably will add nes controllers and games in the next few edits.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 01:42:54 am
I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I did notice one thing. The left side of the heart (our left) seems a bit more slanted then the right side of the heart which looks more curved.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 07:01:27 am
Oh, I'm sorry, should have read that. Now I realize that I've read everything, even the thing about the NES, I only forgot to read the beginning of that line

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 02:55:15 pm
a picture is worth 1000 words.... aparently..

edit:

couple of things i edited allot more could be changed (the tv shine might be leaving the style a bit... but i still advise changing the direction of shine on it.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline poingo

• :B
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 05:19:08 pm
I totally love this piece. I'm a huge fan of iso, and I love the simplistic style of the room.  It might just be me, but the garbage can looks a little out of perspective... forgive if I'm wrong though, my eyes trick me sometimes. :huh:
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 06:30:48 pm
this really needs shadows, lovely isometric room all the same.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 06:42:12 pm
In my first post i did say i will add shadows last.  theres no point me adding them now, when i don't know what else is going to be in it.

*ahem*

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 03:01:17 pm
I think this'd look cool with a lamp and some subtle secondary lighting. Or something.. Maybe.

Anyway, lovely work Feron. The bin does seem out of place, it needs to be much smoother and rounded, and get rid of that horrid vertical lined shading  ;)
Loving the books in the bookcase. The notes on the board to the left seem a bit off, maybe a bit of shading to show their curvingness...?

Anyway, keeeepp it up.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 04:01:21 pm
changed bin, new chair, table, painting(don't wanna get sued by apple!!  plus enough people already think i work for them promoting macs etc...[this still might change but im gonna leave it for now, yes it is a color redux] ), and a broadsheet.

anyone wanna take a guess at wat each of the items will link too?  :-X

i really help on that chair though...

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Re: [almost-finished] not another iso room.

Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 04:41:06 pm
I want to see a pair of controlers to the Nintendo  :)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: [almost-finished] not another iso room.

Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 04:47:22 pm
The shape of the new chair is very odd..  If it were not in front of the coffee table, I wouldn't know what it was supposed to be.  It definately needs some arm rests or back support, right now it looks like it wouldn't be terribly comfortable.  I'd just reference chairs (Ikea?  :-\) till you found one that would suit your room and base it off that design.. perhaps a recliner that has it's leg rest would look a bit more interesting and definately create a less box-like silhouette?

The receiver for the phone is really small too.. I'd exaggerate it a bit to give it a good silhouette, it's fairly flat looking right now. 

I love the new coffee table.  Needs a coffee mug! ;)

Overall, great work.. It's definately looking more cozy.

-Fry