AuthorTopic: [Wip] Haunted Girl  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

[Wip] Haunted Girl

on: March 15, 2007, 03:03:59 pm

Thoughts, advice?

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: [Wip] Haunted Girl

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:38:07 pm
Very cool, I love colour choices and the details.  Especially around the eye sockets... It's not exactly reading like a girl to me so far though.  I thought it was a guy with long hair until I remembered the title.  The lips look rather flat so far and the eyes seem a bit too small.

I can tell that this is going to be absolutely amazing when finished. 

-Fry

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:31:17 pm

I'm not so good at critiquing with words so I decided to do a quick edit. The main beefs I had with this were the color choices and the facial structure. Like fry said, she looks a bit manly. Also, I upped the contrast and made the hue shifts a bit more pleasing to the eye imo.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:07:10 am
Is that some purple shadows? :P

Turbo: Joshua's edit brings about some good points on the lower half of the face. To me, the nose seems a little flat, and short, vertically. The lips and chin are unnaturally long horizontally. the very edges of your lips fall roughly in the center of your eye, on a vertical line. Also, as shown in Joshua's edit, there is a lack of depth to the general mouth area, and the little darker spots at the edges of the lips help establish more volume to the area. (i guess you'd call 'em dimples? iunno.)

It looks like she's got some dip in her lower lip, to put it simply. I'd round the highlight on the chin more, to give her a more feminine jaw.

I really like the way the upper portion of the face looks, though, the eyes are very emotive. Other than these small issues, it really comes down to the palette, which was also addressed.

Good luck with the piece, it has wonderful potential.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:02 am
What's what's what's with the odd neck position? It ruins this a bit by being 'whacky'. I don't think you need that.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:28:56 pm
Fry: Anatomy crits are helpful, i'll work on girlifying her more. I didn't want to give her a look that's too pretty, but don't want her to be a man either.

Joshua: that's a great edit! I like how different it looks, the palette pops out a lot more than mine, and i agree that it's more pleasant. I'm a bit timid with hue variations, still getting there, but you show it well here. I'll take it into account (though i want to keep a pale and slightly colder look, not so much pinks and purples). The anatomy on your edit is quite solid, though it strays in keeping the expression i'm going for, slightly angry/hurt, yours somehow looks happier. But it definitely helps, i'll take is as reference.

Stwelin:
The lips and chin are unnaturally long horizontally. the very edges of your lips fall roughly in the center of your eye, on a vertical line.
I durr, forgot basic anatomy. Due to accumulated rust. Joshua's edit made me see that. Thanks for the heads up :)

I kinda liked the lips, but since everyone's complaining, i'll rework them, maybe add another color there (or a few more). Yeah, regarding the nose being flat, it looked like it didn't pop out enough at first, i tweaked a bit and thought it ok but i'll go at it some more.

Helm: yeah, the neck thing's from the original idea for this... Initially I was going to make a portrait for a King of Spriters character, but as i went on i didn't stick to the genre style too much, and liked this outcome better. The neck is from the initial idea though, she has a long neck and bad posture. To be altered. Nice tip thar :)

I'll work on this some more later, and update when i get the chance. Thanks for the help and encouragement.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 04:30:37 pm by Turbo »

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:09 pm

Made some general tweaks, still working on the lips and chin. Palette better now? Don't want to go as drastic as Joshua... The eyes don't seem to be looking at us anymore, need to check that.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:29:11 am

Face pretty much done, except some more work on the chin. Starting on the hair next. I enjoy doing ears :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 05:59:41 am
 Looks great! It looks too much like a gradient to me maybe because it's the dithering that's doing it. I'd fixed it up a bit.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:04:17 am
Have a couple of unfinished pieces I'm working on, this is one of them.

I tweaked the face and everything else, really. Added hair highlights. I'll just be doing the lower part of the hair before i call it finished.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:06:35 am by Turbo »