AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34556 times)

Hawk

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #90 on: March 18, 2007, 03:32:49 am

Alright, thank you Generic.

I've finally gotten the style I'm going to use. I finally accepted the fact that I couldn't do the detail on the small model. Though with the model above I intend to add 4 smaller oval plates on the front and 3 on the side though I'm having some perspective issues. Now I'm going to be doing open circuit plates throughout the entire model, and well as a cool blue circuit on the side. The edges I tend to round out, and add beacons throughout the entire top of the structure. Finally I plan on adding a base once this portion is done, just have to decide on method of entrance.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #91 on: March 18, 2007, 03:34:54 am
uh, this looks like a computer case more than anything.

I don't think going bigger is going to help you, as you seem to suffer from fundamental lack of knowledge on shading and such. It'll only become glaringly more apparent in the bigger model. But go right ahead if you want.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #92 on: March 18, 2007, 04:01:24 am
I agree it's looking more and more like a computer case. Stick with the smaller model, you're making improvements gradually. The larger one is too much to handle for your skill level and there's no need to practice pixelling at that size. Also, why not sketch out a design on paper first? It'd be so much quicker to iron out a design.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #93 on: March 18, 2007, 04:15:20 am
I must agree that it looks like some sort of modded computer case. At that size I honestly, with your skill level, I think you would be better off doing some type of CG. I think you should try and make progress with the smaller one still. With everyone's suggestions you are progressing, so why stunt that? I could actually see the concept in your last update. :)

Hawk

Reply #94 on: March 18, 2007, 06:28:35 am
uh, this looks like a computer case more than anything.

I don't think going bigger is going to help you, as you seem to suffer from fundamental lack of knowledge on shading and such. It'll only become glaringly more apparent in the bigger model. But go right ahead if you want.

Shading. Yes, I have the image in my head on what it's going to look like, that isn't the problem. Before I couldn't imagine it. Now I fully understand what I'm going to create. Here I drew up some quick lines on one of the larger panels to show an example of what it's going to look like:

Ignore the bad form of line shading, but it's to show what the majority of the peice is going to look like, now of course I still have yet to add the blue dome plates, though this will give you some insight. The lines that you see generally act as circuit lines as they are made of various metal alloy which are commonly embedded into the wall with a sheet of light material of mineral guard to prevent corrosion or breaks in the circuit lines. The style became popular not only for the external fashion, but because it cut down general construction time in the division of Relect wire plotting.
Though anyway aside from the facts, I plan to add the dome plates next as well as add the other circuit lines, and then start shading. I'm going to start on the side black panel later after the general is completed because I still have yet to really decide what to make it, how to make it, and with what impression to make it for. Yet after everything is finished I'll show the more high-tech/accurate model for this building, as it will be the actual building design that will be used in-game once I feel that I"ve grasped this style.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:03:10 am by Hawk »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: March 18, 2007, 09:50:43 am
In my opinion this perspective looks very strange. It's very strange that the front isn't perspectively stretched but still you can see so much of the left plane. Here's a very very quick edit (which is also not really pixel art since I just used free transform in photoshop) to give you some idea on less strange looking perspectives:

also the lines on the left side are not correct. they are almost parallel, while the should meet in one point somewhere on the left:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #96 on: March 18, 2007, 03:25:33 pm
The 'circuit' lines look like veins. It doesn't read like you want it to read.

Hawk

Reply #97 on: March 18, 2007, 06:50:59 pm
Well, logically speaking there isn't much of a difference between a human blood circuit and an energy circuit. Anyway, here is a small update:

I fixed the lines, and will start texturizing that side panel, and then add the cool blue energy lines once I create a good template for it. Also I'm taking back what I said earlier, I'll be adding the blue dome plates at the end to see how the whole thing shapes up first, yet already I can see it's rather empty.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #98 on: March 18, 2007, 06:57:16 pm
Okay, you don't seem to be listening to critique so much as answering it. I don't find that very conductive, and therefore I will leave you alone to persue this as you wish.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #99 on: March 18, 2007, 08:52:18 pm
Well, logically speaking there isn't much of a difference between a human blood circuit and an energy circuit.

I'm not sure where you got that idea from. If you're talking in a practical sense? Then maybe, but since this is how they look, I think you'd be better off pursuing something like this: http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media/images/e/t/CompletedPrintedCircuitBoard.jpg
Compared to this:
http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEC/CC/images/art_vein.gif

And I'm not sure if it's such a good idea to put a circuit board on the side of a tower. It could get nasty in case of rain.