AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34570 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #80 on: March 17, 2007, 10:51:00 am
He doesnt have any previous projects or he would have posted them and shut us all up by now.

I'm with doppleganger - this thread should be locked and a new normal one for his building should be ceated.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #81 on: March 17, 2007, 10:59:51 am
The lack of antennas on the left side of the building makes the pic seem as if it consisted of two totally separate elements. Also, the antennas seem to be lined up against the right edge of the building. That may not be the idea but that's the impression I get.

Hawk, people want to know whether the "harsh critique" you've given them stems from personal experience.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: March 17, 2007, 01:06:10 pm
The new edit has better overall sense of planes, but you've lost all of the local forms you had before, and it's getting more and more difficult to understand visually.  I would apply the improvements you've started with the regional shading to the forms you had with the off-gray version.

My apologies for the way this thread turned out. Though I delay my apologies by the way that you take view of this topic, I've done nothing wrong in any essence, but have been persecuted with all of this based off of critique, and your words are meaningless as you fail to reckon to that reasoning in addition to your childish request for a immature resolve.

Froli, Gil, why would I intend to expand a new world of material before you just so that you can add to your streak of spite towards me? Now Froli, try looking at the reasoning why I made that comment, you might see something past just one sentence, and see that I posted an example as well as a passage of critique for that artist.

The venom of this post and the continued misuse of words is just shocking.  Can you really appologize and then blame everyone else and claim complete innocence?

If there is any spite here, which i do not feel there is, at least not in large quantities, it is derived mostly from the fact that you have not shown any material, and your attitude.  Your refusal to post solid graphics or even information will only make whatever percieved threat there is to you larger, and it's suprising that you cannot see that.

At first i suspected you were a highschool or college student pretending to be older from the way that you were using innacurate terms and seemingly unable to accept very common ideas pertaining to the industry, such as the hiring of designers, but now i have my doubts that you are even an entry level enthusiast.  Appologizing without appologizing, defending incorrect material, refusing to elaborate on simple claims, these are all the things children do when they are about 12 or 13, knowing just enough to think they know everything.  I'm not going to say that you are that age, but if you are any older, the comparisson should come as a wake-up call.

Also, it is considered common knowledge, at least in the educational community, that experience in one field will influence related fields.  A sculpter will almost without fail have a far better grasp of volume in his two-dimensional work even if he seldom if ever pursues it.  Your lack of ability suggests that your years of study may be little more than hyperbole.

All of this is the singular result of the way you handle yourself; the members of this community to not seek to harm. 
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #83 on: March 17, 2007, 01:22:06 pm
The reason why we're acting like we are is because of the way you reply to other people:

...Even though you are new, please show at least some effort other than just showing an outlined animation. Also even before you post this, why not look around at other threads that have had the same inquery, this way time could be saved.

You are new yourself, and even then, the piece already showed immense effort.

If you want to know all about game design just shoot me a PM, I've been in and led 2D and 3D projects several times over. Also I'll tell you now, a team isn't anything without a scripter. True if you have a default engine you could produce something satisfactory, but alas without a coder to pump the ideas into script you will have in no manner a way of chance for success in a game.

If we want to know all about game design? Show us your games then...

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: March 17, 2007, 02:05:41 pm
Enough. Regardless of what games he has or has not made before, this is about skill improvement. Attitude problems can be discussed elsewhere.

Hawk. To offer some critique, I need to know a few things. I know you have stated that this is just practice to develop some style, but you need to explain how this is to be used. From the picture, It looks like a background image for a sidescoller. However, in your original post, you mention tactics, which would imply isometric or a top-down perspective. Is the image meant to be a stand alone piece itself with no relation to any game? is there a background involved or is the building on a transparant background? What are you trying to make?

If you, however, decide you don't want or need help, people will stop helping. No one is out to get you, we just need to know how.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: March 17, 2007, 02:16:16 pm
But Snake, I think we are being tricked here.. I feel this guy made a joke account as a prank just to piss us off.

I'm mostly respectful but he really rubbed me off the wrong way with arrogant replies and criticism on the other threads. This is my last post here.. -_-

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #86 on: March 17, 2007, 02:37:45 pm
Please people. There's a LOT of you that are jumping to the self-appointed role of quasimoderator, though you don't have to. If you find Hawk's way of posting wrong, ignore the man and his requests for help. If you really think it's gone overboard, pm or e-mail a moderator and they'll take care of it privately.

However, since this has gone as it has so far, here's a bit of public ugliness for the lot of you:

Rerg, stop posting uselessness, it will only get deleted again. Why make work for me? Seriously, one more unrelated to art or critique one-liner, and you're getting a strike.

Gil, Froli, Adarias: while for your -different each- reasons you may think this is worth persuing, I'm formally asking you to drop it.

Hawk: though yours is a borderline case, in that you're not really acting like an outright ass, your attitude does seem to annoy a lot of people. I have to ask you to take my suggestion to reconsider this attitude into account, before this gets any uglier. You think you've done nothing wrong, and you say you will carry on posting with the same atititude in the future. I am, as a moderator, asking you to reconsider this. You have not crossed the line, but you're right next to it.

If this thread veers off again, it will be locked, and strikes will fall like lashings.

Thank you.

Hawk

Reply #87 on: March 17, 2007, 06:37:18 pm

Here is an update, courtesy of what was brought to my attention about the color count and the specific line. I'm unsure of the color count because I have no way to find out after I lost the count at the third update. Though after I find an ideal style for the front I'll start applying the texture to the building.

~Helm, I'll take into account what you've saiid, thank you.

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: March 17, 2007, 07:04:29 pm
According to paintshop pro, you currently are using 9 colors. Just thought I'd let you know incase you were still wondering.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:44 pm
Helm - fair enough

Hawk - i don't know if the dithering is working for you, it adds a bit of an unneeded texture and calls attention to the jaggedness of the media.  pixel art has a lot to do with knowing how to work with it's imperfections to create a piece that looks great.  The dithering is also going to play all sorts of kinky games with the texturing you're going to start, so i would advise making it a solid color.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.