AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34551 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 07:20:05 pm
I would like to see those other projects you were leading, the ones you already finished. Really curious.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 08:50:39 pm
I got an itch it's something related to gamemaker or rpgmaker.....

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 10:32:38 pm
....do you not understand, that I've already posted what this is for? If not let me restate it. This peice is for practice purposes, to get ahold of a new style before the March 20th. It generally helps with new ideas, etc. and it also helps me get a deeper insight into the difficulties of the spriters that I hire for the game, and give more valid critique.

Also if the general public would like to see the game material then they can wait until the beta or look at the screenshots on the game website.

That did not answer my post at all.  Practice purposes of what?? you can't base a whole game style on a tiny graphic of a poor building.  How is this related to the spriters you are going to 'hire' for your game, this is not a sprite!!  Valid Critique:  speaks for itself really when you don't listen to anyone on these boards, except yourself.

Man, i'm tired of this thread. 

All the best, Feron.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 11:15:44 pm
...Go back to learning art? Hmm, years of 3D terrain modeling, general concept art, and around 2 years of leading gaming projects? 

I'm having a hard time believing this, you have years of knowledge in 3d and yet you have perspective and shading problems specially for a small building??

Such arrogance

Really.. Go back learning the basics.  :n:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:17:55 pm by Froli »

Hawk

Reply #64 on: March 17, 2007, 12:40:18 am
....do you not understand, that I've already posted what this is for? If not let me restate it. This peice is for practice purposes, to get ahold of a new style before the March 20th. It generally helps with new ideas, etc. and it also helps me get a deeper insight into the difficulties of the spriters that I hire for the game, and give more valid critique.

Also if the general public would like to see the game material then they can wait until the beta or look at the screenshots on the game website.

That did not answer my post at all.  Practice purposes of what?? you can't base a whole game style on a tiny graphic of a poor building.  How is this related to the spriters you are going to 'hire' for your game, this is not a sprite!!  Valid Critique:  speaks for itself really when you don't listen to anyone on these boards, except yourself.

Man, i'm tired of this thread. 

All the best, Feron.

...Practicing purposes, can you not connect that practicing when relating to a pixel art thread means that the user is practicing pixel art? Also now you are once more misleading yourself, but then again let's go by your logic, I'm going to base an entire game of possibly over 500 complex maps on one building, hmm....seems possible. How is it related you say? First off it gives me an insight into the basic methods and issues of pixeling, and I guess...oh wait, it's a part of spriting!!! Also if your so tired of this thread then exclude yourself like a normal person.

Froli, you tend to insulting my talents when you have no relevant comparison between 3D and 2D. 3D automatically creates the sense of perspective/shading/etc. So truly if you knew anything about the comparison you would know that you would be lost if you majored in one, and tried the other or the other way around. Though then again I can't expect you to listen to someone that is so ignorant.

Now the above messages are basically a mimiced version of the type of responses, (replies to you're comments in my case), that you and the majority of posters have been giving me. I think it's time you all rethought your judgement before prosecuting someone as well as trying to dig into their affairs when uninvited. Now learn it and learn well, I think it's about time you accepted that I'm here to practice and learn by self teaching and critique, and that I will be giving critique when it is desired within any manner that I care to present it. If you don't like how I critique due to my encouragement of higher expectations, then don't follow/listen/regard it in any manner and continue on with whatever matters were more helpful to your production.

Finally in regards to everyone that helped with their critique and suggestions, I cordially thank you with an extended thanks to Helm for the editation that gave me some aid in template selection, and general perspective as well as giving me an ideal style objective on the peice I'm working on. Frankly as I've told him, and now shall tell everyone, I had no real intent on what to make of this peice, and that is why you've seen so many changes, because right now I'm just trying to come to grips on a style or building framing I like. Thank you for your time again Helm, and others who helped, and my apologies for such a sacastic words and wasting your time reading this post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:42:23 am by Hawk »

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #65 on: March 17, 2007, 12:46:58 am
I think the point that needs to be made is you shouldn't give such harsh and rather rude critiques then post something of the same caliber or less. *shrugs* Basically don't be on a high horse unless it's deserving.  :P

I think it's time you all rethought your judgement before prosecuting someone as well as trying to dig into their affairs when uninvited.
Did you mean persecute? ^^

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #66 on: March 17, 2007, 12:47:26 am
I think it's time you all rethought your judgement before prosecuting someone as well as trying to dig into their affairs when uninvited.

wtf - its a public forum!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #67 on: March 17, 2007, 01:07:28 am
I think it's time you tone down your attitude and rethink your use of these forums, man.

Okay, see how the one piece you've posted so far isn't that good (honestly, not to be mean)? Well, you know how, I dunno, people have a tendency to sometimes lie? It's an easy conclusion to come to - even if it ends up being wrong - that you haven't got as much experience as you say you do, especially since you haven't proven anyone otherwise aside from arguing that you are. As for 3d translating to 2d, if you majored in 3d art then you should have learned the fundamentals of art in general, including, no, especially things like perspective. You know, horizon lines, vanishing points and all that jazz? That stuff was meant to make the application of 3d space in a 2d plane such as pixel art easier, rather than, I dunno, winging it. This may be a practice piece but that doesn't mean you have to get all indignant when your the one too busy defending your word choices and refering people to the original post. This is an art forum, not a game forum. We see art, we post what we think needs fixed. Chances are the longer your initial post the less people want to read it. We assume you came here to get critiques, so if you've got anything pertaining to the art to be said, go ahead, but all that extra information about the context and origins and game is just, well, pointless. This is not a game project forum. So, then, when people continually tell you the same thing is wrong, then it apparently means you haven't gotten around to fixing it, which maybe means you won't, which would mean you're ignoring valuable information.
Don't get flustered when all you have to do is either take the advice or leave it, update, and repeat. No one here is really anticipating your next iteration, so no need to announce it. Just post it when you need more help or when you're satisfied or when you think it would be a good place to start.

Okay, sorry if I misunderstood something, and Hawk, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. Just...chill.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: March 17, 2007, 01:29:51 am
Quote from: Hawk

Froli, you tend to insulting my talents when you have no relevant comparison between 3D and 2D. 3D automatically creates the sense of perspective/shading/etc.

To all the years of your "experience" working on 3d, you mean, you never learned anything from it by using your observation?

When you use automatic light source and how it give different shades to an object depending how you position it. You never had an Eureka moment "Ahh so that how it works"  ?
<edit, didn't see Xion's post..but he explained it very well>

And in regards to my post about "go back and learn the basic" It is the answer that most people ignore/don't listen to and just jump to the big projects and in the end, they find themselves asking "where did I go wrong". Asks the experts here and they will tell you the same.

And as for my tone of my post, it's because you sound arrogant as how you flaunt your talent and the way you criticize like quote: "Try extending your efforts beyond the paint bucket."

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #69 on: March 17, 2007, 02:36:07 am
Notice how he totally ignores all the comments asking for his previous projects...