AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34557 times)

Hawk

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 04:35:13 am
Even the far more liberal usages of the word do not describe your piece.  The words you chose are wrong.  There’s no shame in using a word wrong, but why defend them?

Not everything is a math problem, nor do I intend nor have I ever intended to view it or speak of it as such.  That bit of canned "philosophy" is even more pretentious than the intentional misuse of obscure words that do not relate to your meanings.  Logic, however, plays an important role in some places.  The illogical is the stuff of romance and beauty, and not the stuff of critical discussion, or, in the case of our earlier discussion, in business deals.  Would you hire a person who constantly spoke incorrectly about what he was doing?  Talk about a waste of time, and therefore of money!

If a person offered a critique with the same misuses of language that your posts do, you would, assuming that you care enough, say "hey, that word doesn't make sense the way you used it.  What do you really mean?"
I bolded those phrases/definitions for a reason. It's to explain why I used them, and what they were used to define.

The update will be delayed a bit my carpal tunnel is acting up.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 02:34:46 pm
I'm sorry to hear that, but please, there's no need to let us know about whatever reason you have to not update. Generally, don't treat this thread like a blog. Just update when you're ready and we'll try to help.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 03:01:40 pm
Man, you really need to get off your high horse.

First of all, your art is not good enough if this is going to become anything near a professional game. After reading everything, I know it's supposed to be a building, but I don't see it. You can get away with an undefined mess like this, if you incorporate it into a cityscape maybe, but not by itself. Follow people's critics, they have a lot more experience in pixel art than you.

And also, show us some of your projects you lead and keep referring to. By the sound of your language you're probably not older than 14 - 15, I have a hard time believing you. Sorry if this sound harsh, but someone needs to tell you...

Hawk

Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 04:27:07 pm

Here is an update. I did a few changes, and basically just added that line to make it have depth. Changed the color scheme (trying to go back to original). I did some spot checker texurizing. Now some insight on this update, the side panel that you see on the side I turned into a circuit board, or just simply a display screen, and I tried to heavily influence the cool-blue electric tone.

@Gil, do you not understand, that I've already posted what this is for? If not let me restate it. This peice is for practice purposes, to get ahold of a new style before the March 20th. It generally helps with new ideas, etc. and it also helps me get a deeper insight into the difficulties of the spriters that I hire for the game, and give more valid critique.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 04:29:16 pm by Hawk »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 04:41:06 pm
That's tons better already.

And I didn't ask what it was for, I asked what it was, it doesn't look like a building at all... (now it does in your last edit)

spot checker texurizing

It's called "dither", the verb is "dithering"

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 05:20:33 pm
I think you improved but...
It could be alot bigger. Use black to show the sides.

Hawk

Reply #56 on: March 16, 2007, 05:32:04 pm
I think you improved but...
It could be alot bigger. Use black to show the sides.

Don't worry, I plan on making a larger version soon. Small mock-up models can only go so far.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: March 16, 2007, 05:33:01 pm
Wouldn't it than be more wise to set up a scale so we know what to expect?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #58 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:14 pm
did you really think it was worth creating a whole thread for something that is a test - that isnt even gonna be used in your game?

maybe a load of test's in mockup form so we can get a feel for something, but this is just... nothing really.

from the replies in this thread i would suggest having a re-think on your pixel-skills aswell as the style your going for.  You have a long way to go.

Hawk

Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 06:59:12 pm
did you really think it was worth creating a whole thread for something that is a test - that isnt even gonna be used in your game?

maybe a load of test's in mockup form so we can get a feel for something, but this is just... nothing really.

from the replies in this thread i would suggest having a re-think on your pixel-skills aswell as the style your going for.  You have a long way to go.

Read the following:

....do you not understand, that I've already posted what this is for? If not let me restate it. This peice is for practice purposes, to get ahold of a new style before the March 20th. It generally helps with new ideas, etc. and it also helps me get a deeper insight into the difficulties of the spriters that I hire for the game, and give more valid critique.

Also if the general public would like to see the game material then they can wait until the beta or look at the screenshots on the game website.