AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34566 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 02:03:55 am

what you're trying to do is not impossible, I hope the edit helps.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 02:19:05 am
what you ment could be infered based on context, but what you wrote is not what you ment, and assigning definitions to suit your needs doesnt actually qualify as proper use of language.  If you wish to actually communicate, use words that mean the same things that you intend them to.

discord - two or more parts that do not exist in harmony.  a single object, such as a ticking clock, cannot be discordant, so the statement means nothing.  your explanation, if that is truely what you mean to say, would imply that time and our regrets are naturally harmonized, which is a bit of a pessimistic view that still does not benefit your piece.

rust - iron oxide brown, FeO(OH), not the color of your piece.

rubric - iron oxide red, Fe2O3, more commonly known as red ochre or sinoper, also not the color of your piece.

there's no need to defend false definitions in your writing, just say "ooops" and try to avoid using words outside their definitions.

helm's edit has a lot you can take from it, particularly the establishment of planes and focus-depth.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 02:24:27 am
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rubric not only red ochre :P but still a rather unsuitable term in this case.

Study Helm's edit.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Hawk

Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 02:26:22 am
@Adrias, everything isn't a math problem.
rust      /rʌst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ruhst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Also called iron rust. the red or orange coating that forms on the surface of iron when exposed to air and moisture, consisting chiefly of ferric hydroxide and ferric oxide formed by oxidation. 
2. any film or coating on metal caused by oxidation. 
3. a stain resembling this coating. 
4. any growth, habit, influence, or agency tending to injure, deteriorate, or impair the mind, character, abilities, usefulness, etc. 
5. Plant Pathology. a. any of several diseases of plants, characterized by reddish, brownish, or black pustules on the leaves, stems, etc., caused by fungi of the order Uredinales. 
b. Also called rust fungus. a fungus causing this disease. 
c. any of several other diseases of unknown cause, characterized by reddish-brown spots or discolorations on the affected parts. 

6. reddish yellow, reddish brown, or yellowish red
–verb
(used without object) 7. to become or grow rusty, as iron. 
8. to contract rust. 
9. to deteriorate or become impaired, as through inaction or disuse. 
10. to become rust-colored
–verb (used with object)
11. to affect with rust. 
12. to impair as if with rust. 
13. to make rust-colored
–adjective
14. having the color rust
—Verb phrases
15. rust out, (of metal pipes, machinery, etc.) to decay and become unusable through the action of rust. 
16. rust through, to develop holes, breaks, or the like, because of rust. 
17. rust together, to join two metal pieces, as iron pipes, by causing the joint to rust. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; (n.) ME; OE rūst; c. G Rost; (v.) ME rusten, deriv. of the n.; akin to red]

—Synonyms 2. corrosion. 9. decay, decline.

ru·bric      /ˈrubrɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[roo-brik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a title, heading, direction, or the like, in a manuscript, book, statute, etc., written or printed in red or otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text. 
2. a direction for the conduct of divine service or the administration of the sacraments, inserted in liturgical books. 
3. any established mode of conduct or procedure; protocol. 
4. an explanatory comment; gloss. 
5. a class or category 
6. Archaic. red ocher. 
–adjective
7. written, inscribed in, or marked with or as with red; rubrical. 
8. Archaic. red; ruddy.

@Helm, thank you.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:42 am

Chemistry problem.

Sorry, I had to.

Hawk

Reply #45 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:28 am

Chemistry problem.

Sorry, I had to.

Actually that phrase retains to an inside joke from an earlier conversation.

Anyway I'll post an update tommorrow.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 02:44:06 am
refers

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 02:52:16 am
everything isn't a math problem.

everything isn't == nothing is != not everything is
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 03:00:48 am
Even the far more liberal usages of the word do not describe your piece.  The words you chose are wrong.  There’s no shame in using a word wrong, but why defend them?

Not everything is a math problem, nor do I intend nor have I ever intended to view it or speak of it as such.  That bit of canned "philosophy" is even more pretentious than the intentional misuse of obscure words that do not relate to your meanings.  Logic, however, plays an important role in some places.  The illogical is the stuff of romance and beauty, and not the stuff of critical discussion, or, in the case of our earlier discussion, in business deals.  Would you hire a person who constantly spoke incorrectly about what he was doing?  Talk about a waste of time, and therefore of money!

If a person offered a critique with the same misuses of language that your posts do, you would, assuming that you care enough, say "hey, that word doesn't make sense the way you used it.  What do you really mean?"
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 04:25:15 am
Woo semantics and grammar!  Um...I'll just repeat the critiques that have already been made.  Helm's edit can provide you with a wealth of information; I look forward to seeing your update.  Also, listen to what people are saying about your use of language; precision in statements is important, especially on the internet where facial expression, body language, and other forms of non-verbal communication are not possible ;)
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.