AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34552 times)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:00 am
Feron, read the original post it may help in the whole schism of things.

A schism is a seperation, as in 'The Great Schism,' or seperation of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches in 1054.
I think you were looking for the word 'gist,' as in 'the main point.'

Anyway, not to diverge too far off topic here...

The building, as stated before, uses too many colors. There is no reason to have colors in a pixel piece that vary in either hue, saturation, or value in such a little amount as the ones shown in the building you're working on here.

You can go ahead and try to justify it, but i believe i speak for the entire forum when i say it's just not pixel art in its current state.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 01:02:41 am
years of 3D terrain modeling, general concept art, and around 2 years of leading gaming projects?

You seem to lack the artistic skill needed to lead game projects. Also your attitude is horrible. Please reconsider your usage of the forum. Your art suffers from very basic faults, but you don't seem to be in the right mindset to understand it. Your building is jagged and doesn't obey any appicable schema of perspective, the colors are random and messy, and generally you need to take critique if you hope to do better, and take it humbly without much talk about your 'experience'.

Please take what I said to heart. If this nonsense continues people will stop trying to help you altogether.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 01:04:41 am
Though in response to learning pixel art, I don't care to learn what others have done and the guidelines they follow.

So what you're saying is you don't care about pixel art?

To be honest I"m really having trouble trying to figure out what it is, it looks very flat and just like messy lines and shapes to me. Its very sloppy and needs a total re-work.

Quote from: Hawk
...Hmm, years of 3D terrain modeling, general concept art, and around 2 years of leading gaming projects...
If you want to learn and get better, the last way to do that is act like you know everything and are never wrong.

Man I feel like a parrot :/

Hawk

Reply #33 on: March 16, 2007, 01:06:26 am
Since people seem to be having difficulty on understanding I decided to change it to a rust rubric.

It's rather faded, but I went more onto the shape than anything else.

~Helm, it doesn't require art to lead a game. Also I'm frankly new to pixel art, as I've told those that I've talked to I can't do line art, and hense this is why I'm currently having issues getting a setting I like. My attitude, is just another story, people are upset because I write critiques with a tinge of higher expectation.

~Everyone else, I'm just doing this for the fun, trying to get ideas, and generally practice my skills in pixel art so I can get a bit better understanding on the construction of things regarding this genre of artwork so that I can arrange other matters better. If you are angered by my critique then don't follow it, I'll post my mind with the greater intent to help. So continue if you must to insult me or my work or whatever else if you must, but it's not going to make me change to your preference. I'll continue the same type of critique if the deviant wishes their work to be critiqued, and I'll continue to work the way I've been working with the intent of getting better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:20:09 am by Hawk »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2007, 01:19:29 am
Much more readable, though not as dynamic as the silver and black.  It still has a few spots where the lines look wobbly, mostly the left side ad the top.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 01:23:20 am
You have perspective issues, contrast issues, hue issues and jaggiedness issues at this point. I suggest a proper perspective plane, more contrast, a bit of hue variation - though not much more saturation, and to clean up the lineart.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:03 am
Experience != Talent
Experience != Skill
Experience != Ability

Believing that it does will prevent you from becoming a better artist.  There is no art in this thread worth defending, and certainly not worth defending with the language you are using.  It sounds like you may not speak English primarily, so I will chalk up some of this to simple language barriers, but there is a strong attitude of "I am already good enough" in spite of the majority of the responses seeming to indicate "no you are not, none of us are."

Your new update is definitely a step in the right direction, but Sharm and Helm's crits all stand as valid and accurate, you have a lot of work to do on this one still!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 01:37:36 am
it just doesn't read, especially with the new palette.  the side of the building now comes forward and rests in a plane with the front, and thats just one problem.  the fact that it is more pixel-art now though is a good thing.

heavy realism impressionism
innated
schism of things
gives me ideas for architypes
time ticks without discord
rust rubric

man, what a Lexicorgy ...... we might have less "difficulty on understanding" if your posts made sense.  using words with confidence is one thing, using words incorrectly is quite another.

also, if you want help with a piece, act a little less like unto your username.  if you don't want help with a piece, and just want to show it for the sake of showing it, this is not the place for that.  the board is about critique, so anything posted is understood to be intended to recieve it.

as far as the look at my scribbles thing, it reminds me of that guy who called a press conference to announce that he might be making an announcement later this year..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:39:43 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Hawk

Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 01:48:48 am

Fixed some things.

Adarias, I've spoke my mind. Whether or not people care to critique is and has always been their choice. Also for a definition in my ideals what that means:

Heavy realism impressionism = Even though it's a mistype, (heavy realism impression), it means that the peice will have a heavy sense of realism as a dominant category, and have the setting/etc. as sub-categories down the list of priority or down the line of ideal impressions.

Innated = It's generally the word, "innate", which means by nature, instict, default, etc.

Schism = Probably another mistype, though it was intending to reach the definition of the "whole picture of".

Time Ticks Without Discord = It means that time will always tick regardless of our regrets.

Rust Rubric = Rust relevant type rubric, orange/rust brown/etc.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #39 on: March 16, 2007, 01:56:57 am
I suggest more following valid critiques and less pseudointellectual jibber-jabber. So far it seems that you have not taken anything into account what anyone said.
Actually trying to understand what the basics of pixelart are would help as well.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.