AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34548 times)

Hawk

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 08:42:12 pm

I'm not trying to be offensive but it doesnt seem to me like you really need the colors you're using at the moment. some have only very small difference in hue/saturation which isn't as visible to our eyes as difference in brightness. Also the pixels seem very randomly placed. In this state it looks totally like a color reduction piece. (I'm not saying that it is one, but you should really use the advantage to be able to place the pixels where you want them instead of having them in a random mess)

No problem at all. I'm just using a few various colors just for the sake of complimentary. Also when I make this image a big large they will end up standing out. Though yeah, because everyone got so upset about the massive amount of colors I decided to take the lower road and conserve a few hues here and there.

~JJ Ahh, this peice is just practice. It just helps build up some attributes or generally the feel for the style, and gives me ideas for architypes, etc.

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 08:56:48 pm
I don't get what it is. Also, I don'tunderstand what is in your avater either. A tree and a building? This is really hard to read so far.

Hawk

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 09:02:03 pm
I don't get what it is. Also, I don'tunderstand what is in your avater either. A tree and a building? This is really hard to read so far.

Read the first post for what this project is. My avatar is a building portion and a bush. 128 x 128 can only go so far.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 09:36:54 pm
This does not seem to be in the same style of your avatar at all.  Your avatar uses simple shapes and large blobs of color, as well as a varied color ramp including pink lighting and nice blue shadows.  your piece so far appears to be dark grey and light grey, with no definition aside from a little bit of scribbling, and nothing to indicate that it is a building?  Also it appears to be cut off rather abruptly on the right side of the image.  It lacks a clear light source, interesting colors, contrast and helpful scale information such as windows or lines for the floors of the building.

EDIT - also, I should point out that the majority of pieces posted here are less than 128x128 and have no problem conveying a satisfactory amount of information.  Your avatar could easily be adapted to a 64x64 px image or smaller without sacrificing any required detail, and it could be done with 16 colors as well.

Hawk

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 10:47:27 pm
I didn't say that I would be using the exact same color rubric or building ideals, just the coloring style. Anyway the base coloring is now done, just have to smack to actually adding detail, etc.

Also feel free to critique now, and make edits, etc.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 11:03:54 pm
imo
- add better (lightsource) (both sides of the building have the same brightness)
- clean the linework up. I don't know any architecture which has such broken lines in it
- use antialiasing and avoid just making a grey line between a very dark and a very bright area.

still not trying to be offensive, but maybe you should do something easier first and learn the basics of art and pixeling?

Hawk

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 11:23:10 pm
...Go back to learning art? Hmm, years of 3D terrain modeling, general concept art, and around 2 years of leading gaming projects?  Hmm...wouldn't mind it if I actually could go back in time, then I may be able to see those whom have passed during that time period, but alas time ticks without discord. Though in response to learning pixel art, I don't care to learn what others have done and the guidelines they follow. Read one of my mottos in my signature, it may tell you something about me.

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:21 pm
I hate to sound like every other post on here, but I'm still not sure I understand the style...

Couldn't you essentially get the same effect from shrinking down a higher quality 2D or 3D render?
It almost seems like pixelling a shrunken photo by hand...

Not trying to stop you or anything - it's your style, after all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:57:14 pm by Rynen10K »

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 12:32:18 am
I've been to quite a few forums on this vast Internet and from the experience that I've gathered from my great travels, I've been able to deduce that THIS guy is a "joke account".

Right?

Am I right?

What do I win!?

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 12:41:16 am
Learning what made other people's work great does not mean you have to make the same thing, or be the same type of artist.  It just means you learned something.  I like being different too, but I also think that you should know the rules before you break them, or you just end up being sloppy and using originality as an excuse.  I'm not saying that you're doing that here.  Just that you should really listen to the advice you're getting before you dismiss it.  Maybe even give it a try.  When it comes to art, learning another's style can only make your personal style better.