AuthorTopic: [WIP] Starting From Step One  (Read 34857 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: [WIP] Starting From Step One

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:12:34 pm
So why did you post it if it's too early to critique ?

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:21:54 pm
In addition I'm counting all of the colors, black, white, gray, dark grey, green, and all the colors I will come across. So yes the color count will be high, but the truth is, do you care about a number or do you care about the product?
I don't care how many colors you use, so long as the colors are all useful.  The complaint people are bringing against you at the moment is that you have three times as many colors as are apparent, you've posted rough lineart that deserves no comment or critique, and you are acting a bit like a pompous ass in your posting.  I'd suggest waiting until you have something worth critiquing to post before you post it so you don't get reactions like you're getting.  You can post all the stages of progress if you want, but rough lines like this are kind of useless to post.  Just my two cents; good luck with the project.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:43 pm
Kind of off topic but you say we can expect something of similar quality to your avatar but, what do you base that on other than it being something you're striving for? Your avatar has over 9100 colors in it. Judging from the responses you're getting, your color use is already a bit overboard. Point being, I don't personally see your tower turning into a realistic building based on your other works and it's current state and I don't understand why you'd opt to use pixel art when the graphical style you're going for uses 9100 colors.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:35:49 pm
There was a difference, when you ask for critique on the apparent, you're going to get it. When you say wait awhile until there is something to critique, then that is when your going to get it. In addition I'm counting all of the colors, black, white, gray, dark grey, green, and all the colors I will come across. So yes the color count will be high, but the truth is, do you care about a number or do you care about the product?

I'd rather fix something early than carrying an error until the end and having to rework stuff, so posting early WIPs is rather recommended.
But according to what you said, why are you posting something not yet crit worthy/something you don't want comments on yet? You might aswell keep to yourself until we can say something about it

As for Number vs Product, personally I don't care about either for this. But since you are posting on these forums for critique, I'll give the technique priority.
It just looks like you picked random colors out of a photo.
While right now we practically don't have any restriction, it kind of kills part of pixel art's nature (which in my opinion is to make the most out of the least, if you get what I mean)
But anyway good luck with further working.

Hawk

Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:03:35 pm
NP. Just wait about another 30-60 minutes. I'll be done.

~Alright, here is the base, I had to attend to something else, but I got to finish up the base within around 13 minutes.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:59:34 pm by Hawk »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 08:09:28 pm
What is it?

looks very blurry, lacks contrast, doesnt read very well ^^.

i'd lose the attitude aswell - telling others to put more effort in and you produce this shit.  Sorry man, but you top this years list of hypocrites.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 08:12:26 pm
Just curious, but why are you doing this as a pixel art?  It looks like you took a small section of a photograph and jpged it.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of doing it pixel by pixel in the first place?

Hawk

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 08:27:42 pm

Feron, read the original post it may help in the whole schism of things.

Sharm, typically if you were to do that then yes it would.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 08:33:57 pm

I'm not trying to be offensive but it doesnt seem to me like you really need the colors you're using at the moment. some have only very small difference in hue/saturation which isn't as visible to our eyes as difference in brightness. Also the pixels seem very randomly placed. In this state it looks totally like a color reduction piece. (I'm not saying that it is one, but you should really use the advantage to be able to place the pixels where you want them instead of having them in a random mess)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 08:39:48 pm
I'd like to see how this works in relation to the rest of the graphics in the game.