AuthorTopic: Floating asteroid with buildings on top - Crits please!  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run
Yo. Designing a level for a game I'm working on. It takes place on an asteroid and well... it has buildings on top.

Anyway, it's the buildings I need crits on. Something about them just sticks out. I'm trying to use as few shades on them as I can 'cause they'll be behind the player. I think I might have actually added too much detail. What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:35:01 pm by Grindie »

Hawk

Re: Floating asteroid with buildings on top - Crits please!

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:55:34 pm
Add depth to the buildings. They look as if they are simply rivetted paper.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:10 pm
They buildings have pretty much the same values as the road, so to make them seem farther you could make them darker and/or change the color a bit if possible. To add more depth draw in stuff other than just the front wall, like parts of the sidewalls, other floors behind the wall and things like that. Diminishing all the details into somewhat dark shadows might be a good idea too, similar to what was done in that one batman game for nes, where something like 50% of the backround was pure black. Don't have to use black tho, but this way you'll be able to depict detail rather than really rendering it everywhere.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 12:35:39 am
They buildings have pretty much the same values as the road, so to make them seem farther you could make them darker and/or change the color a bit if possible. To add more depth draw in stuff other than just the front wall, like parts of the sidewalls, other floors behind the wall and things like that. Diminishing all the details into somewhat dark shadows might be a good idea too, similar to what was done in that one batman game for nes, where something like 50% of the backround was pure black. Don't have to use black tho, but this way you'll be able to depict detail rather than really rendering it everywhere.

Thanks, chap.

UPDATE

The background's all the same colour 'cause I'm colourblind and have to go through some annoying stuff to choose colours. They'll all be changed later.
The building to the left... I don't like. I'm gonna scrap it and start again.
Gonna add some light from the lamppost.

Crits?

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:52:49 am
The buildings aren't reading as well as they did before.  I'd make the holes and the wall you can see through the windows much darker than the rest of the building's shade.

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:54:14 am
Instead of making the walls out of stone. Try making a flat surface. Then keep the same windows and stuff. :y:

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 04:05:11 pm
What level of colorblindness? Hard to see the difference between certain colors or completely black&white?

This is probably a bit too dark already, but it might give some ideas

Like wakka said, you could make the walls have big areas of flat color without detail and then show some battledamage and details here and there that show the material of the wall. Like a big block of grey can become a wall if you add just a few cracks in the corner that reveal some of the things under the surface.

Post the player character on the picture as well to better show what kind of direction would be best for the backround.

!Off topic!: I tried the intercept game last night, it's really good.
I got a highscore of a bit over 2million.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:38:24 pm
I see what you're trying to do there, HuZba, but I think it is a bit too dark. I dunno. I try Wakka's suggestion, see how it goes.

High score of over 2 million eh? I don't think that even I can beat that!!!