AuthorTopic: The Skull Pit  (Read 7262 times)

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Re: The Skull Pit

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:55:03 pm
Hey man that looks really great. It's very rough, and clean at the same time, almost wonder if aa would ruin it.  :y:

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 01:49:26 am
As a game background, i think it may have too much contrast and saturation that would make sprites hard to make out. As a lone piece (such as an image for an intro or cutscene), it looks very nice.

The scale of the foreground objects makes them look small: the skull part looks like a small sand castle (such as one a kid would make on the beach), the perspective on the sand could contribute to this feeling of small scale.

It's a bit hard to understand the foreground as a whole: it seems to me there's an unfinished bridge on the left, which has no beginning nor end, nor does it cross any chasm. There are some plants under it which may or may not be forests, and it leads to a desert that looks like a sand box. Contrast between the layers and more object clarification/unification would benefit the piece, i think.

The skull's readibility isn't there at all, maybe add some aspects of real skulls so it looks more identifiable (cheekbones, reshaping the eye sockets), while not looking exactly like a skull (like a natural rock formation would).

Despite these factors, i quite like your work!

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:23:50 am
Thanks Turbo,

Actually most of what was mentioned is intended to be smaller scale.  I almost think that the size of the objects might have read a little bit more clear had I tossed a sprite in there (something to consider maybe?).  The skull would probably be closer to the size of a sand castle than what most people seem to see it as.  I think the pyramid type rock objects are really throwing the scale of things off to make it seem much larger than it really should be.  The bridge-ish type thing was intended as more of a tomb/alter so that would be more of scale of a sprite human (had this been intended for a game).

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone, so many of these things I never would have noticed had they not been brought to my attention. 

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:14:00 am
I have no advice to offer but I just wanted to tell you I really love this piece. It reminds me of the old western shoot em' up games. Took me a while to see the skull, but I'm slow so it has nothing to do with you skill. It also serves as an easter egg in my opinion. Goodjob and keep it up :3.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:17 am
Great scene indeed.=)

The only thing confuses me - how big is that place, I mean - can't say how is it scaled  if you put a figure on it? Are the skull and pyramids  meant to be huge?

Ok, finally get an idea to read the thread.. sorry, kinda slow today. :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:42:33 pm by Fool »

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 05:37:45 pm
I think what is throwing the scale off for people is that they are focusing so much on the skull side of the image, that the details on the other side get washed out when they set a scale (to me)  A character in there would definitely show the scale, although I'm not sure where you could put one where it wouldn't seem out of place.

Also I think you need to clarify what it is on the left (you called it a tomb/alter) I can see how it could be a tomb of sorts, but the back arch (not quite an arch but yea) doesn't help with this interpretation.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:56:25 pm
Thanks,

Any suggestions in what might make the tomb/alter appear more like one?  Do you think something like a statue/headstone might help the process? or getting rid of the arch? 

I'm going to do a re-work this afternoon and see if i can clarify the scale a bit more.  Perhaps I may even try a sprite in there, not sure yet. :)

-Fry

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 07:49:30 pm
I thought this was unfinished at first, because most of the sky is coverd with clouds, but the left corner is abruptly blank.  This is an amazing piece, I really love the details.