AuthorTopic: The Skull Pit  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

The Skull Pit

on: March 14, 2007, 08:19:08 pm

Hello, I havn't posted much on here..

I've recently been inspired to toss together a pixel portfolio.  This is my first piece which I call "The Skull Pit", spent about 11-12 hours so far.  I essentially treated it as an animation layout background...  This is my first real attempt at something like this. 

Anyhow, any tips, criticism or comments on how to make this look as portfolio quality as possible would be greatly appreciated.

-Fry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:22:43 pm by Fry »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: The Skull Pit

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 08:24:40 pm
very nice :)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:50:41 pm
i like it a lot.  not sure how readable the skull is, if you ment it to be, but if you want it to fade back, leave it as is.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 08:56:36 pm
Thanks Adarias,

I'm not too sure if the skull would benefit from being a bit more defined... I kinda like how it blends into the sand.  My original design was quite a bit different and had a few smaller skulls submerged within the sand, but i found it was really distracting.  Perhaps "The Skull Pit" isn't the best name for it.  :P

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:23 pm
It's when I see stuff like this that makes me remember why I'm intimidated by the industry. Really nice stuff, I saw the face just fine. At first I didn't see the name and thought this was posted by DayDream, mainly because of the colors and how well they blend, especially on the left side with the greens.

Something about the lines in the sand aren't very convincing as gathered sand, especially the three lines to the left of the face. I don't like how they're just lines, no real form to make them seem like little hills.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:33:17 pm
sweet!  I really like this - the sand at the bottom of the screen is shaded almost like water, its a little weird, but otherwise badass man, nice job!

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:36 pm
Thanks a lot for the comments, yeah.. It seems I do have a few strange things going on in the sand which really serve no purpose whatsoever.  I think I may play around with a few alternatives.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:15 pm
Wow, amazing!  I really like this... it's going to be hard to find crits... I guess I would say that I'm not sure of the scale of this picture, as in, I can't figure out if the skull is a huge skull-shaped temple, or a small skull in the foreground?  It might just be because I'm stupid, but I'm confused.  Also, what are those liney green-topped things in the foreground?  I can't tell what they're supposed to be. 

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:30 pm
Wow, amazing!  I really like this... it's going to be hard to find crits... I guess I would say that I'm not sure of the scale of this picture, as in, I can't figure out if the skull is a huge skull-shaped temple, or a small skull in the foreground?  It might just be because I'm stupid, but I'm confused.  Also, what are those liney green-topped things in the foreground?  I can't tell what they're supposed to be. 

yes, I know what you mean, haha! The platform on the left looks way bigger and stands more out then the sand & the skull pit, so yea I am also confused now.
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:08:28 pm
Haha, wow... actually it's funny, I never really noticed that until it was pointed out.  It very well does look like it could be a skull temple further into the distance.  It's intended to be a smaller (well not entirely small... about the same size as the alter thing) skull which is in the midground with the alter thing.  Kind of like a guardian of the tomb or something.  The green things in the foreground are just some random vegetation I threw in (moss/grassy stuff) because I didn't like the harshness of the solid grays digging into the sand and grass, any suggestions on how to maybe make that read a little bit clearer now that you know what it is?

Thanks,

-Fry