AuthorTopic: running pixel base  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: running pixel base

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:46:23 pm
I think it could definately use a slight speed increase... And the foot's impact when hitting the ground is looking kind of slippery, i'd perhaps have the toes touch the ground before sliding back to give it more of a fast paced stomp.  I really dig your loose and over-exagerrated movement, pixel art line-work obviously appears a lot stiffer than animating using a col-erase pencil... just like rough animation loses it's edge when cleaned up.  Your movement doesn't suffer very much from this.

I look forward to seeing more.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:34:07 pm
It looks like his torso is pointed slightly toward the camera, while his legs are completely left.  It looks a little awkward.

Offline birkka

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:37:51 am
the colored version

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:31:50 am
The biggest issue right now is a spacing,  hands and feet moving erratically and that create blinking effect. if you take two extreme highest points for the hand and create a motion arch (that's what makes animation fluid for the eye) you'll see the jumping off that arch. Spacing should maintained along that arch  something like that - just a quick illustration (don't have time for more accurate drawing=):

Actual spaicing between red points could be even (woosh-woosh-woosh=)) or more on the middle and less on the ends of an arch (wwwwooshhhhh-wwwwooshhhh-wwwwooshhhh...)  - it's depends on type of run you created (considering figure weight, age, sex etc to make you character) and a style of the image - let say, cartoons have no limits for experimenting, but still follows the motion arch for each moving point of it.=)

Far hand moving on a same orbit with a front one and they just  replaced each other for a viewer in extreme points. And again, arms and legs shrinks and grows - try to run it on a slower speed and you'll see what happening.=)Pay attention to the front shoulder, something realy strange happenning to it.

As for the head rotation,  here is come edits -  arching  left-right and left down/up/right down - or whatever you've meant it to move - make a path yourself=) Not nessesery to use all key frames or full rotation - as long as spacing right it could be one turn per two frames cycle.

Ear not in place, it almost hits the eye brow.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:20:58 pm by Fool »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 01:54:41 pm
The pants are shaded too systematically. Get out an old pair or something and throw them on the ground and see how the folds form. (on second thought, a mirror would also suffice. ;P) Unless they are sweat pants with elastic around the ankles, they should cover the shoes a little bit, not taper inwards at the bottom. Also, there will be significant folds near the pocket areas, knee (the back of it, when bent. I see you've already added some of this) as well as the ankle.

Fool's critique covers most of the other things i noticed when looking at it.

Good luck, it's looking great.