AuthorTopic: Rainy Pathway  (Read 10073 times)

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Re: Rainy Pathway

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:58:00 pm
Yeah, I picked the colors to make the scene damp and dark.  I think the less contrast on the water, and texture on the stones is a good idea though.

I have been working on this, and I'll post an updated version soon. :)

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:07:40 pm
Okay, so I changed the stones up... they were just too simply colored for that resolution I think, which made them look flat.  I still haven't started on the grass, but I think now that the stones look so much bumpier and bigger, I will have to make the grass look really full of depth.  'Cause right now even though i like the cobbles, they look almost too rough to walk on.

>>

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:09:22 pm
still pillowshaded!  I'll do an edit later today if I remember, but I don't think you'll need the extreme dark areas if you just avoid some of the concentric shading that is all over this piece currently

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 04:58:46 pm
Try adding some reflections in the puddles.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:13:59 pm

I did a quick section edit.

I think my biggest issue with this piece was the fact that it looked like there was just a storm (or currently is a storm) and that the cobblestone didn't really look all that wet.  I kinda changed the style up a little bit, but hopefully this helps you a little with some ideas. 

I love your pallette, has that perfect moody blustery day feel to it.  I can tell that this is going to be a very strong piece when finished.

-Fry

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 06:31:20 pm
That's a nice edit on the stones Fry. I think the water kind of looks like a simplified different colored version of the stones now though. Perhaps some brighter highlights and a glossier feel would help that out. Maybe the issues is that the water has some heavy shadows outlining parts of it.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:40:51 pm
ditto, excellent edit, now i don't have to make one!

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 06:43:49 pm
Yeah, I agree with that for sure Doppleganger.

I've always had issues with water, something I really need to work on... I originally attempted to make it transparent (cobblestone underneith) but then it didn't read quite so much like liquid.  As far as reflections go, the environment around it is mainly low surfaces so I wasn't sure what to reflect. 

Then there is always the huge ongoing struggle of making tiles/bg's not stand out too much if sprites are going to be involved.

I can't get over how much i love the colours that you chose Serena, haha.  I can't wait to see the finished version.

-Fry

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:48 pm

I took a stab at the water aspect. I think in this case, less is more...or however the saying goes...more is less? Anyways, since you're right, there is little for the water to reflect I simply reflected the stones where they meet the water. I put in some browns slightly darker than the water in the water to give the illusion there are bricks underneath which gives the water some sort of substance rather than a flat plane. Although it still looks like the water is just a flat plane it also looks as detailed as the rest.

Edit: I realize now that the water is meant to be over the stones where I have shaded it to be below them. Which is a bit easier. With that being said, it is unnatural for puddles of water to collect on generally flat ground so that is probably where half the trouble is coming from, it's just not something we're used to seeing in a natural environment.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:08:32 pm by Doppleganger »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 07:17:01 pm
I love the atmosphere in this piece. :)

Just throwing random ideas.. a big pool could reflect the clouds in the sky, unless it's such a heavy rain that the sky is totally monochromatic.. or you could make a scene where raining has ended and the scene has lightened up a bit and the puddle reflects the ske where clouds are parting and revealing some blue sky.