AuthorTopic: 2 New Pixel Pieces (WIPs)  (Read 6142 times)

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

2 New Pixel Pieces (WIPs)

on: March 14, 2007, 02:33:41 am
I'd like to begin with the I started after the eye. Originally, I was going to use an old drawing (posted in creativity thread) of mine but decided to go a different direction. I instead decided to use my own face as reference to make this:

Circus inspired. Actually Cirque du Soleil inspired. :-) This is a prelude to the fourth piece I'll be doing that will feature some extreme body bending.  :) I'm thinking that white is a little too white but it'll have to do for now. There's no lightsource as I haven't figured out where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure, though, that there'll be shadows on that face but, I was looking at some pictures in one of the Cirque programs I have and saw that there weren't too many dramatic shadows on the painted faces. I'd just like to know what you guys think of the eyes and AA. I wanted to make the transition between white and the colors to be very smooth but I'm not sure if what I did was correct.

When I read the new challenge at Pixeljoint, I thought and put the circus piece on hold see if I can actually get this done within a week. This is indeed a rough wip but here goes:

I drew  from a picture of a bust in my art history book and using the actual picture for lightsource. The finished product should look like a magazine cover for "The Roman Woman". The woman featured is wearing the "flavian" hairstyle popular among the elite women around the time of Emporor Hadrian. The hair, I know, will be very difficult but what I'm most concerned about is the shading. Is dithering the best solution for this especially if I'm to use only 3 colors? OKay so I know I'll have to dither but I just can't seem to find a pattern that would be good for a smooth surface...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:06:25 pm by khorin »

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Re: 2 New Pixel Pieces (WIPs)

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:03:02 am
I like it so far. Finish it in gif (animation of all the steps and processes), and I might just learn something.

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:28:59 pm
I'll be sure to do that! No comments? :-( *shrug

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:08:29 am
These two pieces are nice, although your pixelling technique seems a bit "green" :). On the first one, i'd further smooth the angled lines, add more spaced blending between the colored areas (where red goes to white, blue to white), and add a subtle shading on the facial features. Maybe add some specular highlights, since the face is covered in paint which generally reflects some light. Anti alias the nose outlines, add shading there. Finish the hair.

On the second piece, i'd say post your best effort, and see where it goes from there. I'd advise you to reduce the thing's size in half, it may be quite cumbersome as it is right now...

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:24:51 am
Nice start!
But about second pixel piece - her eyes is too much different, people face is not absolute symmetric, but eyes must be similar and line shadow on the right cheek more fluently (more less curve), because it's woman and this form you define left cheek - this is not broad face. Also remove double chin ))

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:30:39 am
Turbo - Yes, I am very green  :lol:. Thanks for the tips, I knew I had to add some shading on the face as well as blend in between the colors. I'll play around with the angles 'til it gets smooth. I'll get started on that nose as well as the hair as soon as I'm done with the face.

mangust - Thanks for the tips! However, what you've described is the front view. The view in this portrait is almost 3/4. But I have removed the double chin  :).

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:11:37 am
mangust - Thanks for the tips! However, what you've described is the front view. The view in this portrait is almost 3/4. But I have removed the double chin :).

Funny  :o Maybe you not correctly understand me, I am not talk about front view )) I talk about this portrait is almost 3/4. If you paint roman woman, see on photo break of chiaroscuro denoted red line, she have this smooth line, other grey color after this line it's half-tint and not shadow. The blue line it's something closer to you line shadow, if you paint you shadow and light you must make a more broad face. And about eyes I some quick edit you sketch, because you right eyes too small, the though we have his nearer. And something about her nose (lower), mouth (less and bellow).

Anyway, please continue, it's good work and I want see nice final!  :y:

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:57 pm
*slaps her forehead
I see now! Thank you for clarifying that for me. I'll definitely continue working on this and I'll post a new version tonight.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:28:15 pm by khorin »

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 04:55:25 am
I'm going very slow and plus, I don't have much time to pixel.  :'(
This is what I have so far. I still need to clean up but I'll do that when I continue shading. I've recently downloaded Promotion so I'm going to be using Dither mode to make things go faster. I don't think I'll reach the deadline but I'll submit this a regular pixel art whenever I finish. I should definitely decrease in size the next time I participate in a challenge...

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:54:53 am
or you could just submit the wip and then update it  :-\
untz untz untz?