AuthorTopic: Running animation - WIP  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Running animation - WIP

on: March 13, 2007, 09:22:39 pm
So, I've started my first running animation, mostly for practice so that I can get things right before making something more detailed. I couldn't find any good references on running, as you can with walking, but after watching some animations, I've put this together:

Now I was thinking about what was debated in the bruce lee-walking topic, about linear motion. Is this supposed to be applied in-code, or could/should it be in animation?

Alot of criticism wanted.

Cheers

Hawk

Re: Running animation - WIP

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:14:07 pm
So, I've started my first running animation, mostly for practice so that I can get things right before making something more detailed. I couldn't find any good references on running, as you can with walking, but after watching some animations, I've put this together:

Now I was thinking about what was debated in the bruce lee-walking topic, about linear motion. Is this supposed to be applied in-code, or could/should it be in animation?

Alot of criticism wanted.

Cheers

Alright, starting off you can't truly just critique a part of something, though this is what I'll say. First, the animation is cycling way to quickly for a a run and it's rather hard already to even try and depict anything about the image. Though the character currently has no thighs, it just seems as it's two legs connecting to an oval base. Next, the right leg looks as if the character is simply kicking off the ground getting ready to win a sprinting race. So to have a continual looping of this will ruin the character pose no matter how great the detail, my suggestion would generally require an entire revampment of the animation. Starting out, your going to have to bring the lower right leg forward, and lift the ankle up by a margin or so, so that it doesn't seem as if the character is hyper-extending it with every step. Next, you should bring in the left leg a bit, because there are several issues with it's current stance as I issued above. Also you are going to have to redo the foot as a whole because it's highly awkward. Then in the matter of realism you are going to have to accent the natural anatomic muscle tone, that is assuming this is a human male. So instead of having flat sides try adding an oval or reclusive-type curve on either portions on both legs. Finally, there seems to be a static frame where it looks like your animation has a 3rd leg sprouting from it's right, I would suggest fixing this before doing any of the other changes.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:15:02 pm

the main flaw with this is that his knees don't bend, try running like that, im sure ud find it very hard. there needs to be a frame showing the contact to the floor with a fully stretched leg otherwise the landing part of this animation is simply missing...

yes as hawk mentioned there are some anatomy issues, but im sure working on the positions of the legs in each frame is more essential at this point because you just want to make a fluid, believable running character, id still make sure you keep the general proportions as best as you can whilst focusing on the animation but always remember you can go into further detail of fixing any anatomy issues later.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:19:20 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:51:37 am
Alright, starting off you can't truly just critique a part of something, though this is what I'll say. First, the animation is cycling way to quickly for a a run and it's rather hard already to even try and depict anything about the image. Though the character currently has no thighs, it just seems as it's two legs connecting to an oval base. Next, the right leg looks as if the character is simply kicking off the ground getting ready to win a sprinting race. So to have a continual looping of this will ruin the character pose no matter how great the detail, my suggestion would generally require an entire revampment of the animation. Starting out, your going to have to bring the lower right leg forward, and lift the ankle up by a margin or so, so that it doesn't seem as if the character is hyper-extending it with every step. Next, you should bring in the left leg a bit, because there are several issues with it's current stance as I issued above. Also you are going to have to redo the foot as a whole because it's highly awkward. Then in the matter of realism you are going to have to accent the natural anatomic muscle tone, that is assuming this is a human male. So instead of having flat sides try adding an oval or reclusive-type curve on either portions on both legs. Finally, there seems to be a static frame where it looks like your animation has a 3rd leg sprouting from it's right, I would suggest fixing this before doing any of the other changes.

If you have the time I'd appreciate if you could take out the frame that has a 3rd leg? I'm really lost in what you mean there.

When it comes to anatomy I have no deep knowledge of it, so it doesn't come as a surprise. But I'll have to go on a longer hunt for anatomical references. Or go out for a really long run.

the main flaw with this is that his knees don't bend, try running like that, im sure ud find it very hard. there needs to be a frame showing the contact to the floor with a fully stretched leg otherwise the landing part of this animation is simply missing...

yes as hawk mentioned there are some anatomy issues, but im sure working on the positions of the legs in each frame is more essential at this point because you just want to make a fluid, believable running character, id still make sure you keep the general proportions as best as you can whilst focusing on the animation but always remember you can go into further detail of fixing any anatomy issues later.

Comparing the two it's obvious what you mean, and I appreciate the edit. And yeah, keyframes should go before anatomy, but of course anatomy has a part in the keyframes too.

Thanks for the replies :) I'll be back in a few days when I think I have improved it.