AuthorTopic: My first walk animation [Nudity warning]  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

My first walk animation [Nudity warning]

on: March 13, 2007, 08:04:35 pm
This is the first walk animation I've ever done.  I'll be using it as a base for girls in an adventure game.  Any suggestions?

Latest:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:59:55 pm by Sharm »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: My first walk animation

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:10 pm
I would say it's pretty decent one.=)

A few things though - she looks like skating - legs are straight, motion from center line to the sides. In walk it's all opposite.
 One frame in sequence  is absolutely unnessesary since you need even number of them for symmetrical moves, unless you want to make some special accent in walk count.

I quickedit a few (not all and not accurate=) things on her left side to make a points since it'll hard for me to describe in words (have no clue how body parts named in english), hope it'll help.=)
Maybe a sholder move a bit too much...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:37:00 pm by Fool »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:58:34 am
Excellent edit, thank you very much.  You're right, the shoulders do move too much, that was probably what was bothering me.  I'll get right to fixing it.

[Edit]  All done with the fix.  I'm not sure why you took out the passing frame for only one side.  If it was to show that I didn't need it at all, that's partially true.  I don't need it for the downward walk, but I need it for the side to side walk, and I'll want these cycles to match.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:37:50 pm by Sharm »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:39:16 pm
Sorry, I've missed your update=)
Perhaps if you want to keep this frame its up to you, its not really that critical, though usually an even number of frames for a walk is an easier way to divide steps for both sides.
Tweening goes between two  points, and no matter how many frames you using its usually even amount between right and left cycle. Same goes for any direction. Again, not necessarily.=)

About update, i think bending leg before it move forward would benefit a piece.=) Now knee goes up (back) with a feet and return down (forward) with a feet as well. If leg is actually bends knee would go down (forward) first while feet remains on a back and then feet would catch up with a rest.

Great work anyway. :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:57:24 am by Fool »

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:24:45 am
To me it looks like she is walking very slowly, and I think that's because there are too many frames.  Also, her arms kind of look like they are swinging side to side instead of front-to-back.  You might want to use that shading you did with the legs on the arms, too.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:05:41 pm
Perhaps if you want to keep this frame its up to you, its not really that critical, though usually an even number of frames for a walk is an easier way to divide steps for both sides.
Tweening goes between two  points, and no matter how many frames you using its usually even amount between right and left cycle. Same goes for any direction. Again, not necessarily.=)

I'm confused.  Why do you think I have an uneven number of frames?  I used 8, and when I took apart your edit to look at it frame by frame you only had 7.

About update, i think bending leg before it move forward would benefit a piece.=) Now knee goes up (back) with a feet and return down (forward) with a feet as well. If leg is actually bends knee would go down (forward) first while feet remains on a back and then feet would catch up with a rest.

I'm not sure what you're trying to describe.  But after I posted this update my brother pointed out that it looks like her foot is going from behind her to in front of her in one frame, so I did an edit.  Hopefully this will help what you're talking about.  Unfortunately I won't be able to post it today (computer problems).

Serena:  You're right.  I'll add more shading to the arms before I post the update.  As for the speed, I'm not sure about dropping frames, I like the detail it adds to the walk, and I'm not sure how to do without it on such a large sprite.  I'll speed it up though.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:36:32 pm
oh...  My apologies.=)
 Somehow I've messed it up miscounting. Sometning's seriously wrong with me. :ouch:

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 08:42:34 pm
*laugh* Not a problem.

Edit:    Here it is, like I promised.  I'm not sure I like it at the faster pace.  I suppose it doesn't really matter, the program I'm using sets it's own pace and it's something inbetween anyway.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:05:08 pm by Sharm »

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:37 am
Good latest edit Sharm! )))
If walk actualy now. I have some comments for you, it's touch on her thighs. More oscillation on there and with you shading is be very good.
in right - edit contour.

She is pretty ;)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:09 pm
Thanks for the edit, but I don't agree with it.  She's supposed to be a girl, not a woman.  I'll keep them in mind for when I animate the woman base though, thank you.  And thanks for the compliment, I live for them.  ;D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 06:37:27 pm
Okay, I don't have time for an edit, so here's an example from Muybridge. As you can see, yours contains lots of errors right now. You can't walk without lifting your feet for example. Also, there's a weird twitch in the leg animation. The head bob is out of sync with the legs too.

http://www.figuredrawings.com/animate10.html

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 07:47:18 pm
Should probably note that link above links to nudity.

Anyways, Fool's edit looks great, though the legs snap back into place way too fast. Something though about how the whole upper body moving together looks odd, not sure why though.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:06:10 pm
This thread also has nudity, I don't see a warning here.

We're on an art forum, people expect to see nudity...

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 09:22:20 pm
Gil: that doesn't change the fact that people might be looking at the forum at work or school and not want to be surprised by nudity.  There's a reason most people tag threads that contain nudity.

Regarding the sprite, Gil's link should provide a good example, but here are a couple specific things that bug me:
-The movement of the hips as indicated by the crotch area seems to be timed incorrectly when compared with the movement of the legs.  Actually, now that I look closer, the chest, stomach, hips, and legs are all moving either too much or at the wrong time.  It kind of looks like random bits of her body are kind of spazzing out.  Sub-pixel movement to smooth the movement, especially of the crotch and belly button, would probably help make this look better.
-She looks like she's sliding when she puts her foot down; this would probably be fixed by adjusting the foreshortening you're doing on the foot.
-You probably want more contrast in your colors; the light, low contrast skin and dark outline are making this sprite very flat.

The animation has improved quite a bit since the first version.  Keep it up!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 09:25:55 pm
Okay, back to work!  Thanks for the crits everyone.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: My first walk animation [Nudity warning]

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:43 am
Good work so far, Sharm.=)

A few things - leg is still not bending which create that  sliding effect.=)
Frame 3 and 7 -(far leg) knee leads (start moving), feet stays.=)
Another bug in frames 1 and 5 - if you switch back and force between those frames you'll see  leg base's  moving 2 pixel to the side, try to make it centered.
Also if you narrow feet width from outside for the leg behind it'll kill sliding for good.=)
if you care for edit....=)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:43:31 am by Fool »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:58 pm
I would like an edit actually.  Thanks.  I've been trying to change the first frame so that you could see the bottom of her foot, but I'm doing that poorly too.  Here's what I've got so far.

I've also changed the colors, like Robalan suggested.  How does it look?

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 01:34:20 am
Here i tried to edit - very quick just relocate parts, some lines are disturbed, but  see if it work for you in general=) Some shading will help to accent  far/closer parts as well. I would also move her hand slightly behind her body instead of to the side in frames 1 and 4, but that up to you - she might walk either way.=)

Here are all the changes: (marked frames)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:01:50 pm by Fool »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:58:27 pm
I finally got around to fixing this, hopefully it looks a little better.  How does it look now?

Robalan, I tried to fix the overdone movement, but I'm not sure it worked.  Any areas that still need help?

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:33 am
Looks nice.=) maybe also arms (don't know how you call those - where they connect to the shoulder - wrinkle?) a little deep, no? Probably could go a pixel down to add some volume to the shoulder.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 01:27:11 am
armpit. :P and yes, they do look a little thin. The head... wide-ness sort of irks me, but i'll assume it's a non-realism stylistic choice.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 05:30:14 am
her tits are flat when her rotates her body, her neck is really wierd, and agreeing with the above post, her armpits are a bit too visible.  also, I think her legs may be too short.  the animation is nice though, besides the arm it's very fluid.  I love how the toes aren't always flat, you actually raised them when she steps forward, excellent thinking.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 08:58:33 am
Her breasts look a bit strange, like they're one thing instead of 2 seperate breasts. I suggest some shading in between the breasts to make them look better.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 07:48:23 pm
Obviously I'm not pulling off the look that I want from this, since I keep getting comments implying that she's more mature than she actually is.  She's supposed to be pre-teen, and not developed yet.  I've toned down the shading on the bust, neck and fixed the armpit.  Did I make her too hippy, is that the problem?

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 09:39:51 am
Looks good to me.=)
As to the head and a breast i think it's just fine since that is a base, not just nude bold walker.=)
(Hair would defenetly add some juice to the motion though=). Maybe knees are  a little pointy but other then that have no crits.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 04:16:08 pm
Thanks Fool.  You helped a ton on this.  So did everyone else, thank you!  I know it's just a base, I did fiddle with a lot of things that are going to be covered up, but I wanted it too be right, so I could learn, and do it right on the next one.  Speaking of next one, I've started on the left/right walk.  I'll put it up when I'm done, and maybe a completed character too.  ^_^