AuthorTopic: Iso Room and Sprite  (Read 9051 times)

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Iso Room and Sprite

on: March 13, 2007, 05:30:05 pm
Hey! I'm a n00b and this is my first pixel post here... it's also my first time to do a sprite or any kind of iso art. I think I did an okay job picking a lightsource and such but I am here to learn so ya'll be the judges... tell me what sucks. :)

Iso Room w and w/o sprite:
It's kinda simple... and someone suggested hardwood floors but I couldn't get them to look like I wanted...

Sprites:

Edit:

Final Edit:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:59:14 pm by abzdragon »

Hawk

Re: Iso Room and Sprite

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:38:36 pm
Try extending your efforts beyond the paint bucket.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:19:39 am
Hawk, why not try extending your efforts beyond the paint bucket of critique? ::)

Anyway, this is quite good for a first iso. Where exactly is the light source(s)? There aren't any shadows on the floor. I presume the light is on the ceiling judging from the shadow on the desk. If it's in the centre of the ceiling, I'd change the shading on the bed, because at the moment it seems like there's light on the left side of the bed near the edge. If you'd like, I could make an edit to show you more things I'd change.

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:37:51 am
And maybe you could add a reflection of the mirror on the floor huh? now that would be really cool :P

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:40:51 am
Try extending your efforts beyond the paint bucket.
>_>

I tried to make the light source come from the left side mostly... I didnt draw a lamp or anything... that may have helped...
If you'd like, I could make an edit to show you more things I'd change.
Yes, please. I'd like that if you have time.

And thanks for the suggestion Ricco :) At least you could tell it's a mirror haha!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:47:29 am by abzdragon »

Hawk

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:40:50 am

*Goes beyond the paintbucket critique*

Anyway...I just added some detail here and there where it was needed and sort of...changed the colors of the room a bit.
By the way there are eggs on the bed, don't ask why...

PS: Almost forgot to add the changes anyway, I added more detail to the desk, added some shadowing behind the desk on the floor and wall. Fixed about 8 loose pixels you had just sitting around. Added flowers to whatever kind of plant you have there, made the desk a bit lively with a full multi-colored eraser pencils. Fixed/Changed the two tone wall because I wasn't quite sure how a wall color would be different if it was the same distance away...Added some pixels to the books, and removed the white line at the top, just by preference ontop of changing the room color scheme. Along with the computer I changed it to be a bit more co-operative with normal realism, and made the monitor black and white instead of blue and teal. Lastly, I made the beed a tad bit more realistic in your sense since you imply that there are white covers underneath the sheets so, I changed the areas near the pillows to suit that concept.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:49:14 am by Hawk »

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:50:51 am
hey, quick question here: is it ok to pillowshade a pillow? :P

Those pillows look stiffi, make them "fluffier"

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:43:20 am
Thanks Hawk for explaining what you meant. I do need to correct the shadows under the desk... thanks for pointing that out. I dunno how I feel about the tan overall... but I do like how you made it look more like floorboards on the ground. My only gripe is that bamboo doesn't usually have flowers like that XD And you're prolly right also about the shading on the monitor but I was trying to keep it in a cool/blue theme. At any rate thanks for the suggestions ^^ I shall go work on it a bit more... 

Hawk

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 03:24:10 am
Thanks Hawk for explaining what you meant. I do need to correct the shadows under the desk... thanks for pointing that out. I dunno how I feel about the tan overall... but I do like how you made it look more like floorboards on the ground. My only gripe is that bamboo doesn't usually have flowers like that XD And you're prolly right also about the shading on the monitor but I was trying to keep it in a cool/blue theme. At any rate thanks for the suggestions ^^ I shall go work on it a bit more... 

Hmm, well if you wanted floor boards I easily could have done so. I was just remembering an old pixel group challenge that had pixel artists pixelate a small model of their rooms, and then a large model of their dream room. Which usually ended up with people having a large mall as there room...Anyway in regards to the bamboo, I'm cordially sorry about that I wasn't quite sure what it was when I was pixeling. Also about the tan, that basically is the mock-up of my IRL room, so yeah, it's just a bit different.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 12:33:55 pm
Nice for a first iso piece.

I don't know if the furniture standing a bit away from the walls is intentional but to me that looks strange, especially on the bookshelf. On the table though, I think one of the legs(to the extreme right) is too short. You can see that for yourself if you draw a line from the front leg, parallel to the floor line on the right, towards that leg that I think is too short. Extend it until it hits that helping line and it should be alright. You can also fix the wrongly positioned gripe on the right door of the bookshelf by doing that line trick. (Using helping lines like that is generally a nice trick to find the correct positions of things in iso drawings.)

To make the overall appearence of the room more interesting, my only suggestion is to add some texture to the bed and maybe to the walls. And then, what has already been said, add shadows and more detail. Keep going.