AuthorTopic: finally - i got a face  (Read 4144 times)

Offline atomic-bum

• View Profile

finally - i got a face

on: March 12, 2007, 06:54:27 pm
After seeing 'The time machine' i remembered the title art of  'The chaos engine' - the gentelman -- so i wanted to create a similar atmosphere. The color choice is a tribute to my first computer - a philips pc xt with a yellowish cga display. Made just for fun -- though i spent way too much time on it  :D About 6 or 7 colors.

enjoy - criticize - modify!

P.S. I do know i can't draw folds worth of s* :yell:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: finally - i got a face

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 07:38:06 pm
hey i think this looks pretty sweet, here are the things that jump out at me as a little bit off:

1 - the, i assume its a double-barreled shotgun?  The perspective on it is REALLY extreme, and seems more like a copout than an artistic choice.  Also, he's holding it one-handed, and does not appear to be a bodybuilder (or Ash), which is kind of a dangerous thing to do.

2 - his eyes aren't looking at us, or his gun, or his match, which would be the 3 things I'd assume he'd be looking at.  As it is it looks like maybe he just saw a mustard spot on his sleeve or something?

3 - index finger looks chopped off, i think mainly because it is at a slightly different angle than the other fingers - if it was tilted down just a smidge, so we could see the remaining finger joints (even if its just a pixel or two wide) I think it would sell that a lot better.

Nice start, and cool lighting!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:42:35 pm

Your darkest before black shade is too close to black, it's wasted. Also just a suggestion, if you're using a single ramp (this has 8 slots btw) it doesn't mean it has to be single-hue also.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:25:39 am
also, his thumb is on the trigger.  ???

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:33 am
haha, stwelin i think that IS his index finger - what looks like his pinky is I believe a ridge at the base of the gun's handle...

Offline atomic-bum

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:34:23 am
to AdamAtomic well from literature to movies the physical reality is often not what we see in real life - i really like the point though (come to think of it a shoutgun i pretty f* heavy)

I tried address the issues with the finger and the eyes - it's funny that you start missing things that are quite obvious when you've been working on a piece for some time  :-\

and a great thanks to Helm i didn't think of it before (thought about the morochromatic effect of  CE) - the image came to life with the new palette and the AA got a lot better in some areas.

hmmm... maybe i should rework that shotgun into a revolver  :-\

and I do seem to have misplaced the thumb haven't I?  :D  Oh well the revolver might have a thumb then.

Thanks everybody.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:17:18 pm
It took me a second to read it as a shotgun. On first glance I thought it was some kind of fold-open hand mirror. Maybe it was his eyes that threw me off. He seems to be gazing into it.

The soft dithering and specific light source remind me of some of Lawrence's pieces. Good work so far.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:42:24 pm
Gosh, I love this. Although when I first looked at it, I thought he was holding some sort of tape reel. I think it would look more like he was holding a gun if you made the hand that was carrying it a bit bigger too, because now it looks the same size as his other hand even though that one is not out streched.

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 04:02:22 pm
I like the piece, maybe yeah a revoler would work beter...