AuthorTopic: CMYK  (Read 3710 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

CMYK

on: March 12, 2007, 04:24:53 am
Hey guys, posting something for once:

Got the inspiration from Soup. Except I tried using CMYK primaries. The green isn't working out all that great, so if anyone has the RGB values for CMYK primaries, I would really appreciate it. Then I could adjust this.

Tell me what you think, go light on anatomy issues and focus on colour. Thx.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:26:55 am by AlienQuark »

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Re: CMYK

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 07:42:15 am
Dithering colors with CMYK won't make your colors correct because CMYK uses a subtractive color mixing method, while RGB uses an additive color method.  When you mix two colored inks together, they become darker, when you mix RGB colors, they get lighter.  Dithering accomplishes neither of these forms of color blending.

...oh man, I am such a nerd >_-

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:27:26 pm
Dithering accomplishes neither of these forms of color blending.

Strange things can happen, though.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 03:26:58 pm
Dithering colors with CMYK won't make your colors correct because CMYK uses a subtractive color mixing method, while RGB uses an additive color method.  When you mix two colored inks together, they become darker, when you mix RGB colors, they get lighter.  Dithering accomplishes neither of these forms of color blending.

...oh man, I am such a nerd >_-

We happen to be looking at this on a computer monitor though.  I mean it would be a concern if Quark intends to print it.

Quark: The chin is very long and falls off quite sharply, I mean it slopes towards his neck.  This looks strange.  His neck seems a little like it connects to the middle of his head, rather than the back.  For technique, I think the array of dithered colours you have is great you can vary both value and hue with just these!  I'd like to see you get more imaginative with the dithering though.  Not everything has to be 100 or 50 percent.

It is going well though, and I like seeing largish pieces like this.  They push the limit.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 03:31:26 pm
Well dithering on paper with CMYK colours is of course subtractive. But on a screen (where you always have RGB, no matter if you use colours close to CMYK) you can get optical blending easily. So dithering DOES achieve additive blending to a certain degree.

RGB making CMY

CMY making faded RGB
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:35:03 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:23:41 pm
But if he's using CMYK, doesn't he want the mixing to be subtractive?  Bascially, mixing basic colors on a computer screen is not the same as mixing ink or paint, so I don't think he's going to get the effect he's going for in the image he posted.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:54:08 pm
Well yes, if he wants to mix the colours by just using cmyk, he wont get the effect it would have in print, obviously
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 06:54:27 pm
Seeing as I am still lost on the actual colour theory crossover, I just went ahead and kept pushing the pixels.

Lackey: I'm still thinking about the chin issue, I may fix it, but I may not, depending on how into fixing the dithered spots afterwards I feel. As for the neck, that was a really trick part to fix, if you wanna draw-over where you think the neck should be that would help greatly, or anyone for that matter.

Ptoing: Thanks for pointing out that little tidbit about how the RGB can make CMY and vice versa. I'm trying to figure out how to work with those ideas.

Serena: Thanks as well, I was aware that CMY is subtractive as I've worked with markers in just pure CMY that mix, which is where I also kinda got the idea. I kind of just presupposed the same thing would work in pixel. So far I'd say it does asides from the green I have.

Still gonna keep pluggin' away at this one.