AuthorTopic: Some queries about short deadline game creation  (Read 10006 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Some queries about short deadline game creation

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:28:20 am
Also I'll tell you now, a team isn't anything without a scripter.
Depends on the genre I would say.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 04:03:28 pm
If you want to know all about game design just shoot me a PM, I've been in and led 2D and 3D projects several times over. Also I'll tell you now, a team isn't anything without a scripter. True if you have a default engine you could produce something satisfactory, but alas without a coder to pump the ideas into script you will have in no manner a way of chance for success in a game.

I've probably been in over 10 projects, 2D and 3D, and we only had a scripter in 1, because it was needed in the context. What's so special about scripting languages? Only RPGs tend to use them really...

Hawk

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:36:43 pm
If you want to know all about game design just shoot me a PM, I've been in and led 2D and 3D projects several times over. Also I'll tell you now, a team isn't anything without a scripter. True if you have a default engine you could produce something satisfactory, but alas without a coder to pump the ideas into script you will have in no manner a way of chance for success in a game.

I've probably been in over 10 projects, 2D and 3D, and we only had a scripter in 1, because it was needed in the context. What's so special about scripting languages? Only RPGs tend to use them really...

Ptoing, it doesn't matter what genre of game. Every action generally in a game requires scripting/coding or some type of action which alas makes that game unique.

Gil, I don't believe that is frankly possible for there not to be a scripter for any of those project especially those for 3D. Formatting just the general attack or movement takes scripting/coding. Basically a game without a scripter or a coder is just raw material, an unanimated collection of peices, and it is through that scripting that the peices are put to use in such forms of animation, etc. that create the essential foundations in game design. Even the simplest games like tetris had a scripter/coder.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 04:48:34 pm
scripting and coding are two different words.
scripts are usually commands of some sort which were originally coded in the game to allow flexability and editability, but are represented in a more simplified way allowing non-coders to easily understand them and create them.
coding is the actual programming of the game, and is where all the technical processes and calculations are done.
I think that's right anyway

Hawk

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 05:16:22 pm
Long lists of code are called scripts. So generally that is why people use either word, it has a similiar origin and meaning.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 06:13:53 pm
Scripting is writing computer instructions (i.e. programming) using a scripting language, like:

perl
javascript
actionscript
python
etc etc

I've also heard scripting used to describe modifying XML files for certain game engines, and personally i would sort BASIC languages into the scripting category as well.  Coding is programming using any other language, like:

C
C++
C#
D
Lisp
Erlang
Java (java and erlang are interpreted but are still considered coding, at least in the circles I've been in)
Pascal
Fortran
etc etc

If your game engine is written in or supports a scripting language, then a "Scripter" would obviously be handy.  Many game engines do not support scripting languages though, and in that instance, a coder would be much more helpful ;)  because (and again this is only in my experience) there is a BIG difference between a coder and a scripter when it comes to coding.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 08:01:10 pm
here is my honest adivce when under serious time constraints -

Only plan to do that which pertains directly to the assignment.  Anything more will be impressive, true, but will it demonstrate proficiency?  This is how i assess students; how well they performed within the goals of the class.  If the assignment is to do a realistic rendering of an object in black and white and the student turns in a beautiful non-objective expressionist colorbomb, the most they will get for the assignment is a C, and to be honest i find that generous.

Basically, Assignments are given for the purpose of testing your understanding of a concept or list of concepts.  Final assessments are typically intended to test the absolute reaches of your ability to function within those parameters.

If you chose to dedicate time to an item that is not one of the aforementioned concepts, it is impossible that you gave the other concepts 100% of your attention.  Therefor, do not pursue them unless you feel that you have already exceeded the standards in the required fields, or you have reached a point where you simply do not know how to improve, despite not meeting the standards.

Since you talk about how you hope programming will improve your grade, it is highly likely that you have not exceeded the standards yet in the required fields.

IF you submit a project which does not meet the standards, regardless of how many extra things you include, the (honest) assessment of your work would say that you have not earned an A in the reequired fields.  If you do not meet the standards and get an A anyway, then the teacher has cheated you out of an important lesson.*

Basically, focus on design and presentation before you think about coding and other things.  You can make mockups and "trailers" far faster than you can make an interactive game.  Once those are done, see if you have time left, and SERIOUSLY consider if even that extra time couldnt be spent embellishing the items one which you are actually assessed.

* - let all here who have submitted to a client something different from what they hired you for and been successful say "Aye"
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 09:37:12 pm
Aye!  Not all the time of course, but I try to push the boundaries when I can.  As a freelancer, the only way to ever increase my shop's value to clients is to be able to bring our own ideas to the project; otherwise we're just so many tracers :P  However, this has next to nothing to do with school, and we generally do stay inside the bounds of the most basic project spec; that is, if we're supposed to design an album cover, we don't turn in a game demo!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 12:11:33 am
Get a concept, and storyline/main character created.

Make some mockups - get a feel for the game, perhaps make a start/end screens.

From here you will be able to make posters and packaging with the right colors and characters.

If you are not pushed for time - make the game.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 09:33:55 am
thanks guys, some really good advice from all of you. My first week of the project is done and i've totally filled a sketchbook with research.. now I've got 10 weeks to make the game. What im going to do is get myelf a solid idea, start some concept art, get a grip on the style and figure out characters, scenes, and transfer this into a starter/ending screen illustrations. I'll most likely need some critique since this is all new grounds to anyone I know including all of my tutors (not too much critique tho, its accessing my own skills). Im going to try get this done in two weeks.

Secondly Im going to start storyboarding the game, I definately want a believable plot.. Then Im gonna get straight into making a quick mockup to try plan out how it'll actually look. In all I think 3 levels would be enough considering the amount of work im expecting from myself. making these levels at a push could be done in 2-3 weeks if I make sure im on top of everything.

I want another week or so to make any major alterations, additions and possible add another level if needed.

Which would leave me 4 weeks or less to create some packaging, make a poster or two. and create a simple 3 page flash website.

I think it's do'able, considering its a college project i'll be working on it at least 7 hours a day..  :) Ill keep y'all updated.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..