AuthorTopic: pixel art documentary project: looking for participants  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

This semester I'm taking a course in documentary film making.  For the term project, we're making 5 or 10 minute documentaries on a subject of our choice.  Well, I'm thinking of doing my documentary on pixel art.  What I want for this is some interviews or stories; people speaking on the subject, basically.  Audio seems like it would be easiest to use, basically I'd just edit it and arrange various still images to it.  Its sort of cheap, but in this context I think it would be effective.  I have another idea on how to use images, but I’ll talk about that later.

What I'm asking for in this thread is if anyone would be interested in speaking about pixel art with me either via a Skype interview or by recording themselves privately and responding to some pre-written questions or just gabbing on thematic lines.  Ideally I'll get a variety of voices like artists, professionals or hobbyists.

Some of the questions I’m looking to answer are things like “what is pixel art?”, “why pixel?”, “what got you interested in pixel art?” and so on, in addition to more specific questions depending on who I’m interviewing.  The tone of the documentary will be basically expository, it will be to a lay-audience so I’ll have to explain some of the esotera, but I’d also like to touch on the motivations of artists as well.

So right now I just want to ask around, put the idea out and see if anyone is interested.  If you are interested in being interviewed or talking to yourself and recording it please respond to this thread, or via pm, and then I’ll have to decide on my own if I have enough takers to go through with the project (I do have a fall-back plan).  I want to make this really worthwhile!

The other, somewhat ambitious, idea I had for the visuals is to ask participants to do a pixel self portrait as a 4:3 image with frames for the basic phoneme mouth shapes and then I would lip-synch it to the recording.  I think that would look pretty cool, and also add some character.  That might be too much work considering the 4 weeks I have to do this, however.

Anyway let me know if you have any questions, input, or whatever.  I would love to get community feedback on this project.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: pixel art documentary project: looking for participants

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:16:09 am
Sounds very cool, informing the average person about our little craft...
If I can find my headset, I'll record myself and send you some words on the subject. Now where'd I put that thing...?
Do you have any more specific questions you want answered?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:11:29 am
This is interesting, sadly I don't feel, as a non-native speaker that I could carry the subject in audio for a long time. Shame you're not taking text.

Offline Lackey

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:34:50 am
Do you have any more specific questions you want answered?
I do, probably!  But I haven't really written any down yet, heh.  I think for now general stuff is probably better.

This is interesting, sadly I don't feel, as a non-native speaker that I could carry the subject in audio for a long time. Shame you're not taking text.
I don't know if I need length, really, if you do feel like offering anything I'll take it because more is better than less in this case.  I can always edit down.  I can't think of a way to integrate text at the moment though.

Another thing I just thought of that I'd like to use is video from the recorded pixel art thread.  So there's another possibility.  If anyone else has ideas for moving images I would be happy to hear them!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:49:15 am
I don't know if I need length, really, if you do feel like offering anything I'll take it because more is better than less in this case.  I can always edit down.  I can't think of a way to integrate text at the moment though.
Subtitles?

Offline Lackey

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:56:21 am
I'm considering it.  I prefer it to narration for the preamble bit I'm going to need to do.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:19:50 am
why not work out the interviews in text first, which will give people confidence and a chance to work out how they want to say what.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 03:01:18 am
I'm in. If I find the time that is.  :)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 10:15:35 am
If you want me - I'm in! Though, I'm not a native English speaker either. If I had the text written down so I could practise beforehand, I would probably do better.

I really liked your idea with the portraits and lip-synch. That is such a cool idea. And I agree - it would really add character to the documentary. It also reminds me of Creature Comforts (from the creator of Wallace and Gromit).

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 12:16:38 pm
I'd like to do this. I don't have a mic, but I'm sure I know someone who does. I wouldn't be able to do the Skype thing, but answering questions given to me shouldn't be hard.