AuthorTopic: Query for the mods  (Read 6252 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Query for the mods

on: October 11, 2005, 06:32:32 am
Hey guys,

I realize I left the forum (and in a huff) but the development house I work for would like to host a pixel animation contest, and there really isn't any better place than here for something like that. The basic idea is that we post a sprite and entrants each do a run/walk cycle and a dance animation of that sprite. The entrant with the best combination of both receives $250 and a copy of Pro Motion Lite 5.1 (the industry-standard animation & pixelling program).

The reasoning behind the contest is that WayForward Technologies is always on the lookout for new animators, and a contest is the perfect place for people to show off their abilities. Obviously employment is not guaranteed, hence the prize. Considering the fiasco that the last contest I hosted on Pixelation was, however, I'd like to get the current mods' thoughts on this before I post anything. This is not my forum, and I'd be happy to defer to the wishes of the mods on how we can set a contest up, what rules would be fair, and so on. I'd also understand if the mods would rather I never bring another contest around here, and leave it at that. But I think this could be a lot of fun and a great opportunity for some people to get their feet in the industry door.

So, thoughts?

- Adam
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:54:41 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Query for the mods

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 06:47:12 am
YES, sals is back! =O....in a way :p

man, count me in for this one, Pep, be nice and say yes :p

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 09:30:53 am
We are running a tad short with long-term challenges at the moment, so perhaps it could be proposed to the other Daijins and Daihyos and see what they think.   I say yes and I could probably convince my Daihyos to say yes, so there is 3 for yah already.  Yet WayForward Technologies is shelling out that prize not us, correct?
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:28:09 am
Sounds like a fun contest. Have you nailed down any ground rules or anything for the contest yet? I imagine the other mods and admins would probably make the rules of the contest a major factor in deciding whether or not to allow it. If memory serves, vaguely defined rules and exceptions were the only thing that caused problems the last time, so I'm sure that if you get those out of the way first it'll go fine.

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 11:39:32 am

Considering the fiasco that the last contest I hosted on Pixelation was, however, I'd like to get the current mods' thoughts on this before I post anything. This is not my forum, and I'd be happy to defer to the wishes of the mods on how we can set a contest up,
So, thoughts?

- Adam

I don't want to be rude or anything but if you wanted to talk to the mods about it first before making it public, it may have been wise to pm one of them and keep it there until the details are hammered out. ^^; I'm not sure what happened last time but maybe a private discussion about this would be better.

Your contest does sound interesting though :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:41:11 am by FaeryShivers »

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:45:06 pm
What if you want the money and challenge but don't want or is able too take a job? The challenge sounds great btw.
:::....

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:29:07 pm

Considering the fiasco that the last contest I hosted on Pixelation was, however, I'd like to get the current mods' thoughts on this before I post anything. This is not my forum, and I'd be happy to defer to the wishes of the mods on how we can set a contest up,
So, thoughts?

- Adam

I don't want to be rude or anything but if you wanted to talk to the mods about it first before making it public, it may have been wise to pm one of them and keep it there until the details are hammered out. ^^; I'm not sure what happened last time but maybe a private discussion about this would be better.

Your contest does sound interesting though :D

I don't see your point, other than being a catalyst for trouble....
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:41:49 pm
" Contests

This section refers to contests provided either by the staff of Pixelopolis, or by third parties. Only by adhering to these guidelines may you provide or participate in a contest or competition.

1. Anyone may propose a contest. To do so, contact any Officer to be connected to the proper channels."

Sorry but I do not feel a public post is exactly "contacting an officer."
If anything is a catalyst for trouble its that there is a history that could possibly be
brought up from making this contest public before it was approved and/or discussed.
As I said I don't know the history, but the fact that one was mentioned shows there could be/could have been
turmoil over it being brought up publically. It also puts you officers in a very sticky situation when someone posts something like this
publically. If you decline a contest that many people are interested in due to past problems, you may have more to deal with than
just a few angry PM's.

I have no problems with Adam or you for that matter Dogmeat, I am just concerned about this.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 05:28:01 pm
"What if you want the money and challenge but don't want or is able too take a job? The challenge sounds great btw."

The contest is only be a contest. Do the anims, win the prize. I just mentioned the job prospects to explain the reason behind the contest. But yes, of course you can enter, win and if we happened to contact you, you can still turn down any work offers.

Ultimately the problem with the previous contest (the FSc art) is that I was butting heads on specifics when it wasn't my forum. And ultimately the mods have the right to make these kind of decisions. In fact, so long as the objectives of this contest (Take the sprite, do a run cycle and a dance animation, without adding additional colors) remain the same, I'd be happy to just hand it over and let the mods run it if they saw fit. All I want out of this is to hopefully see the best of what the forum has to offer in terms of animation, and see how everyone works on assignment. It gives people an opportunity to make something fun, win a little cash and maybe even work on a GBA game, if they're interested. Contests always bring out the best in people (our IGN contest was a prime example of this, with 144 entries), and since my bosses agree I was able to scrape together a little prize for it.

- Adam

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 06:26:48 pm
Locking up for now. Going to discuss this via PM.