AuthorTopic: Sprites for RPG maker  (Read 8942 times)

Offline Grynz

• View Profile

Sprites for RPG maker

on: March 11, 2007, 03:10:55 pm
-

Spriting for a Tsubasa Chronicles game. I've never read or watched it, I'm just the spriting slave  D:

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Sprites for RPG maker

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:13:37 pm
In the side view walk animation, the head must pop up and down like it does in the face view =)

Hawk

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:35:38 pm
Try to smooth out the side view a bit, because it looks like the efforts made to move are binded, making it seem as if the model/character is limping. Also although I'm unaware of the exact size constraints of the game, I shall suggest that you use a larger base model, because you shall be severely limited on diversity with hair, and specific body related detailing such as markings or otherwise.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:42:51 pm
Try making the stance steeper. This will help put it in a more top-down rpg persective. It almost seems as the base model is leaning back.  To be steeper, the top of the head should be the top of the sprite, not the forehead.

Here's an example by Terley:

Hawk

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 06:21:00 pm
Try making the stance steeper. This will help put it in a more top-down rpg persective. It almost seems as the base model is leaning back.  To be steeper, the top of the head should be the top of the sprite, not the forehead.

Well that model as well is a poor example. The only reason is the size constraints. You have no room, for armor except for boots, and you will probably be limited to two or three good hair styles for a guy, and even less for the girl. What you need to do is keep at least 4 pixels in each direction away from the arm, and possibly more if possible so that you can constrain a good size porportion with the alotted space. Now, try to keep the arms, and body skinny, because the probability of the player actually seeing the base model is rare, so the less bulky you make the base model the more room you have to make bulky armor. Instead of doing a two time job this will save you time, and issues down the line. Also even though they model you presented is partially good in detail it isn't good in porportion, the down facing model looks as it it's leaning forward, as it has a long wide chest and stubby short legs.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 06:30:05 pm
Gah.  I always feel wrong when I try to give to advice. :blind:  I was just trying to demonstrate that the top of the sprite as the top of the head.  Next time, I'll just do an edit.  The size is the standard size of RPG-Maker characters.

Is this a better example?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:53:01 pm by Fizz »

Hawk

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:57:35 pm
Gah.  I always feel wrong when I try to give to advice. :blind:  I was just trying to demonstrate that the top of the sprite as the top of the head.  Next time, I'll just do an edit.  The size is the standard size of RPG-Maker characters.

RPG-Maker character can be as big as you want them to be...as long as you constrain the porportions by a multiple of four. Also don't worry about being wrong with advice, usually it's harder to use pictures than words to describe something about another picture. A person's sense of literacy is more potent then that of just appearance because we use literacy throughout our lives and tend to remember most of it as it is the foundation of our communication, and we tend to forget images based on typical encounter because of their abundancy and their weary importance.
Anyway refering to what my first sentence inquired, the only reasons it is typical for a designer with RPG Maker not to use larger characters is:
A: Tileset size constraints in player vs. scenario
B: Location vs. Enemy/NPC

Because without a custom character XY(Sometimes Z like in my latest project), they only use a 32x32 display square just by plain default because of the movement vs. display limitations due to keyboard commands. Now if you were to persay use a mouse on a 4x4 square times the width of the character divided by the variable of 4, then it would be possible for such a functional array. Though alas it has the resoluting factor of tileset size constraints that can't really be fixed in terms or work load, but it will make the tilesets all choppy as the max width of a RPG Maker tileset is 8 32x32 frames, meaning 256 since there is no X co-ordinate scroll bar in the tileset recognition display box. So it's just typical that people choose the lesser of two work loads, and only those who really want to strive for something remedy those constraints.

PS: Upon seeing your example it now looks like the head is leaning forward due to the lighting at the back of the head, and just because the head becomes engrossed in size as it reaches the peak of the characters dimension. Alas because of the flat outline it makes it look as if it's laying flat on it's back rather than standing. Usually a form of shading is used to present the stance on a 2D model, or shadowing at a diagonal angle from the base of the model.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:09:16 pm by Hawk »

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 07:48:19 pm
Sorry Grynz.. that I took over your thread trying to improve an example. ;)

When I was into RPG Maker 2000 3 years ago, no one in the community I went to touched the bigger sprites.  So I didn't know that.

Second try.  I'm learning too.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 08:05:36 pm
Way too much saturation, and the contrast between black and the second darkest color are weird.
I changed a few minor things too.
overall, it's a pretty solid edit to the perspective which i hope grynz can understand the point of.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:34:23 pm
I would never use that high saturation. I didn't bother with the colors, I thought Grynz's was fine and I didn't realize that Pixen just messed up the original colors... :huh:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 09:17:07 pm by Fizz »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:13:46 pm
You realize you're all editing the edit...?

Hawk

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:31:00 pm
You realize you're all editing the edit...?

Editation is the first step to perfection. Though the place may be wrong to do so, there is a still a beneficiary purpose that comes out of it.
Fizz, anyway in regards to your example, it's much better now in terms of stance, and even color.

Also upon looking at the animation again there is an issue on the side view on the right foot, (second from front), you shed no real movement into it, what happens is that you have a static chain of pixels for that leg, and then it seems that you create a 3rd leg to substitute stepping while at the same time you retain the original right leg. This would partically be the issue with the movement along with the motion effort put into the model to make it walk. Lastly you might want to even out the sizes because as you see the front view is larger than the side view by at least 2-4 pixels which may cause some issues down the line of production.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 12:43:52 am
before anything else will look right the hips need to be changed.  he has no waist, so his legs stick out like hes a plushie.  rediculous.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 12:54:09 am

oh no I just tried to make a slight improvement to whoever sprite it originally was, its no one near a great example of a 'should be'.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..