AuthorTopic: My Pixel Tutorials  (Read 7914 times)

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Re: My Pixel Tutorials

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:47 pm
Oh my, I inadvertantly ripped.  Shii.  I'll add credits to Takai Soyokaze in the places I've posted this.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 05:23:29 pm
Usually I discourage starting with lineart... I'm not a huge fan of black lines to begin with but if you have to use them, it's almost always better to use shapes and colors as the base for your work and add the outlines after you get the shapes to look good.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 05:43:15 am
Usually I discourage starting with lineart... I'm not a huge fan of black lines to begin with but if you have to use them, it's almost always better to use shapes and colors as the base for your work and add the outlines after you get the shapes to look good.

Well I agree with your statement, simply because I find that pieces look more unified when starting by blocking instead of outlines, outlining is more natural to people as it is closer to sketching which is the most basic of uses people will be coming from.  Some people may have trouble visualizing something without the lines so why not have them there first?

As for the tutorials I think the dither techniques are fine although some examples of how they can be used (images using multiple) not what they are may be more useful then your descriptions of them, as well as better explaining what the textures may resemble so people have an item to associate with them.  The sprite tutorial I find over uses AA, although it isn't as bad because of the nature of the sprite (feathers being softer then many things), and encourages it's overuse by not distinguishing when to use it.  Well you can argue that everything can use it there are many instances when the distinction comes out better then the smooth.  Also you comment about picking colors with lots of contrast although you don't so that you can use them as AA colors as well.