AuthorTopic: Cyberblades pixel art  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Cyberblade

• View Profile

Cyberblades pixel art

on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:18 am
I found this forum looking through some links on wikipedia, thought I'd like to join and get some of my stuff critiqued.  I'm not new to pixel art at all, been doing it for about 3 years now, I'm not afraid of critique, comments or criticism, in fact I quite like to hear these things as they always help me improve in some ways.  Some of my much older work is on www.ssn.sonicstadium.org  but it hasn't been updated for ages.  I have posted alot of my stuff on my deviantart, www.cyberblade.deviantart.com but I'll post some of my newer stuff here.

This is a friend of mines character called Matt, this pixel art was one of the first I've ever made a full BG for.  This is my newest pixel art.

This is one of the largest PA's I've ever made.  It's Cerberus in a more humanish form more or less.  The armor is detailed heavily, and modeled after real roman and greek armor.

I made this for a good friend of mine, Roareye.  He taught me alot about making pixel art, without him I'd prolly still be doing recolours, if even that.

Anyways, critique is always welcomed by me, especially on the newer pixel art.  I'm always trying to better myself, and every little thing helps.

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Re: Cyberblades pixel art

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:49:04 pm
Your middle one is a good idea but I think you need to learn how to more effectivley use colors before taking on something so ambitious. The last one is starting to look pretty good!

Mostly in reference to the last guy:
- Are the black outlines leftover from your lineart? Drop them, it's sucking the life out of your stuff! You no longer need the black outlines when you have color to define form.
- Try using less shade colors. Smooth shadow transitions bring on a negative gradient look.  Shadows are rarely smooth transitions--rather they change intensity quickly from dark to light.

Offline Cyberblade

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:02:38 am
Mostly in reference to the last guy:
- Are the black outlines leftover from your lineart? Drop them, it's sucking the life out of your stuff! You no longer need the black outlines when you have color to define form.

Well, I usually leave alot of the black outlines, I like a much more defined cartoon look.

- Try using less shade colors. Smooth shadow transitions bring on a negative gradient look.  Shadows are rarely smooth transitions--rather they change intensity quickly from dark to light.
I've noticed this in real life, but again tis something I prefer for cartoonish look.  I started with pillow shading ages ago, and though I moved on from that, I still like the smooth gradiant shading.

I've been searching up a few websites recently, and have found some really good stuff at www.spriteart.com tutorial wise, that should help me alot.  It is something to remember though, that realism in shading has never been a real definate issue with me, I'd rather go with a more cartoon/light look.  I will at least try some of this though, see how it looks.

The Cerberus ones main problem is that it's too stiff.  I showed that to my art teacher at school, and thats what she told me anyways.  It's too straight up, like a board.  I've since been trying real hard to correct the problem.

Edit:  I've had a little more time to think, and I'm begining to see how I can incorporate that, and keep the cartoon look I like.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:43:14 pm by Cyberblade »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 07:11:14 am
it's no problem to not go for realism, but make sure you do go for something, gradient shading isnt cartoony, so decide a specific look you want to achieve, and change all the elements in your pictures to fit that.

currently, soft gradients and harsh black outlines are just not going together. it makes for a very incomplete awkward look.