AuthorTopic: A monster  (Read 9797 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: A monster

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:23:30 am
well I guess his wishes should be respected?

Surely you mean "hers"...

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 01:25:52 am
Haha... I love how alkaline assumes I'm a guy. :P

It's ok if Terley edited the original, he probably didn't see the note at the end (which I added later).  Like I said, I just don't want to misrepresent myself by having something in my portfolio that I can't take complete credit for.  Critiques are more vague, so I feel like I can still take credit for the piece.

Xion: I'll take a look at some refs... I'm just trying to think of what animal to reference..  ???

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 01:43:31 am
Sorry, I don't read into things.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 02:59:06 am
I would not feel weird or guilty about studying someone else's edits and then applying what you learn in your own way to your pixel art.  If you were simply copy-pasting people's changes I would feel pretty weird about that too, but frequently edits are the only way to effectively convey suggestions or critiques, and are a great chance to learn how other people work and what other people think is important in your work.

That said, it is totally your call - but as long as you are painting the pixels, it is your work, nobody else's!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 05:27:18 am
Yeah, I also encourage you to consider edits, sometimes you may not be inclined to try a critique, but when someone else does it, it pops up at you and you're like, oh!, I see what he means!  I understand your stance however, though I think it would serve you better to approach everything you post here from a "how much can I learn here?" attitude that would benefit you in everything else you do rather than a "how can I make this specific piece better?" attitude.  In other words:  I think it is in your best interest to consider anything that might be valuable for improving all of your work in the futere, rather than sacrificing potential new ideas or techniques merely to save the integrity of one piece.

Of course, like I said, I understand you stance, and if you still don't want edits, that should be respected.

As for the piece:  I like this a lot.  I think you should work on the shape of the tail and the long spiky teeth.  Now they don't seem to curve and sharpen like they should, they are kind of blocky.  Also, I think the further hooves could have one lighter shade.  His rear right foot seems sloppily done.  Perhaps a little of the highlight on the mid torso would bring out more volume.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 11:58:05 pm
Yeah, I also encourage you to consider edits, sometimes you may not be inclined to try a critique, but when someone else does it, it pops up at you and you're like, oh!, I see what he means!  I understand your stance however, though I think it would serve you better to approach everything you post here from a "how much can I learn here?" attitude that would benefit you in everything else you do rather than a "how can I make this specific piece better?" attitude.  In other words:  I think it is in your best interest to consider anything that might be valuable for improving all of your work in the futere, rather than sacrificing potential new ideas or techniques merely to save the integrity of one piece.

Of course, like I said, I understand you stance, and if you still don't want edits, that should be respected.

As for the piece:  I like this a lot.  I think you should work on the shape of the tail and the long spiky teeth.  Now they don't seem to curve and sharpen like they should, they are kind of blocky.  Also, I think the further hooves could have one lighter shade.  His rear right foot seems sloppily done.  Perhaps a little of the highlight on the mid torso would bring out more volume.

I see your guys' point about letting others edit my pixels.  I guess it never occured to me that I could just look at the edits instead of collabing on a piece. >_-.  If anyone reads this: I don't mind if people do edits to my pixels from now on.  I actually think it's really interesting to see other's interptretations, and I can always use help!

And thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll post an updated sprite when I make the changes.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 12:26:22 am
ok then, ill post this again..

>>
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 09:51:35 am
While i prefer the colors of the original, terley's edit shows more volume and texture on the middle section would be a good idea.  This is why edits are good, they allow you to see things that you could do to make your piece better.

As said before, this looks very buloght-esque, which is a good thing  ;)

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 12:58:48 am
This looks very good! I like it, kinda reminds me of RedXIII from FFVII :P
The only crtit I have is that I think that his/hers/its backlegs should be at the same level of the front ones

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 01:20:29 am
Ricco: Since it is a boar, it must have that height difference...

I really like Terley's edit, but I don't think it is necessary to make those changes, they are good in both ways, it seems like 2 different styles of the same sprite... The pallete if the pallete was changed a bit to look like terley's it would be very nice...  :P
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT