AuthorTopic: Help me with my shading.  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Help me with my shading.

on: March 08, 2007, 01:17:54 am
This is not my line art. It is ARCHE's line art, I'm just using their line art to practice my coloring/shading.

Now that thats over with, I really need help with my shading. I wanted to use 6 colors. I could have shaded the teeth, but the black took the 6th color slot. Anyway, I tried to get the shading right, so correct me if im wrong :).

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Help me with my shading.

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:27 am
I would say, to few colors, or, not a good enough pallete. The shading you accomplish with this pallete is quite less spectacular, than what could happen with 6 colors. I'd say get a new pallete, and use it to dither away and make new colors...if that makes sense :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:37:54 am
I agree that if you are going to limit yourself to 6 colors you should probably have a wider array of values, and simply the creature's color scheme so that you can do more intricate shading.  On the flipside, for a toon-shaded piece, you may be headed in the right direction...but it doesn't look too great yet.  You seem to be afraid to really add something to the texture of the beast.  You practically have the coloring book version here;  I say go crazy!  Here are some rushed, poorly executed ideas to hopefully get you started:

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:47:06 am
Alright, this is like my second pixel art... I do want to improve, so I'll brainstorm a new texture for the fellow. However, did I get the shading right?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:39:07 am
The hilight on the top half ot the head should've extended further back, as in Adam's edit. Everything else about the shading is cool, except the little pillowshaded spot beneath the lower teeth. In the lip. See it? Yeah there. It looks wierd to me. Adam didn't correct that part, so maybe it's just me.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 04:55:43 am
nah you're spot on, i didn't correct it cuz i was lazy and missed it!

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:49:22 am
Update, hows this :). I had a lot of fun coloring this one in.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:47:50 am
Take a look at how Adam raised the brightness overall, and the contrast between the colours. It makes it really stand out more. Your design could benefit from that kind of facelift.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:05:31 am
it's a bit dark and there's not enough contrast between colours, since you are using so few.

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 09:50:18 pm

Alright, I updated the contrast/brightness. I'll be moving on to my next project, and I'll post it here when I'm done...