AuthorTopic: Help me with my shading.  (Read 7341 times)

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: Help me with my shading.

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 10:02:59 pm
It's brighter now, but the contrast is still lacking. Contrast is increased by having light colors for highlights and dark colors for shadows. Right now you have light colors for both (though subtly different) and before you had dark colors for both (though once again subtly different). You could inccrease contrast by using your current highlight color with the shadow color of the previous version; contrast is the difference between colors. Your colors are too similar in value and thus lack contrast.

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 06:48:11 am
Alright. :y:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 04:40:51 pm
Your patterns look very pillowshaded to me - meaning the outside edge of the pattern you added is light green, the edge itself is bright pink, then the inner area is pink, and the innermost area is red.  This is generally frowned upon as laying your colors out this way prevents you from communicating any real volume or lighting information.  Your decorations look kinda of like cuts or scars, but there is no real direction lighting on them to corroborate their depth or features.  We're left to assume that they are perfectly flush with the skin, and in the case of the one near the back of his skull area, also perpendicular to the viewer, despite the obvious change in display angle.

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 05:20:13 pm
I really cannot imagine how you can add depth to scars like that :huh:.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 09:09:54 pm
that's exactly the problem, really.  Why is there a bright green edge around the scar near the back of his head if the whole thing is in shadow?  and why is the inside still pink?  it makes them look like weird, multicolored decals instead of actual skin features.  Because you pillowshaded them (light on outside to dark inside) it makes it look like they are receding, or are cut into his skin.  However, this conflicts with the fact that there is no actual shading or light difference or difference in angle regardless of where the scars are on his head.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 09:16:28 pm

beat you to the edit adam, but you got the post.
engarde!

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 11:56:07 pm
Oh hey, I get it now, thanks.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 03:04:21 am
haha, well done zolthorg, i was waaay too lazy to do a second edit, but you hit it spot on!