AuthorTopic: Wing Commander Pixel Art-y Unity Remake  (Read 48186 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Wing Commander Pixel Art-y Unity Remake

Reply #30 on: August 10, 2019, 11:43:02 pm
Tuesday Evening Dralthi update - I did lower the # of colors on the bright end of the pipe ramp, and went with an even subtler brown shade to the shadows, added a ton of detail. Definitely getting closer to something that looks good!

Enjoy!

Definitely digging the brown shading/ambiance on those chrome parts. On the gameplay side of things, I understand you are being purist and remaking the cockpit with the original shape, but I wonder if a modern entry in the franchise wouldn't reduce the amount of screen area taken by cockpit to increase the view of the actual gameplay content in the center. But this is not critique, just rambling.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 07:38:25 pm
eishiya: Thanks! I've tweaked the ramps a bit, added a bit less fade off. hopefully that improves it. :D
pistachio: I'm not quite sure what you mean - I've only been working on this for a couple of months. :D All the rendering tech I'm doing for this is brand new for this project.
Vinik: Thanks! So, one thing to note is that the viewing area is actually larger than it seems - these images have about 10% more area around the edges for the cockpit to shift around as you turn.
Dralthi cockpit update!

Enjoy!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 09:31:38 am

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 12:12:05 am
And I made some portraits of some of the Original Wing Commander pilots - Angel and Hunter.
As always these are just models rendered out of 3dsmax, with no touchups.

Enjoy!

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:42 am
And it looks like it will hardly need any touchups. Pretty fantastic job, Howard.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:58 am
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! I hadn't seen this before! This is one of the coolest things I've seen in 2021! I'm still emotionally scarred from losing Angel on a mission when I was 10.

Where's this project at today? Is there a Kickstarter? Have you shown it to the Star Citizen community? I'm sure there are some SC backers who would throw buckets of money at you, if there was some way to make it legal.

:yay:

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 03:36:59 am
Thanks, fskn!
cels: Well right now it's sorta in a pause state - I'm slowly starting to gain creative momentum (like these portraits)
Right now I have functioning combat AI, and about 90% of the cockpit UI/interface working. I'm still missing comms and damage control - everything else functions as it did in WC1+2. I have a functional chase camera - 4 different ships (Hornet, Dralthi, Salthi, and the Firekkan fighter) and a basic intro/scene management.
The next things I'll likely tackle are the completion of the comms and damage control systems, and I'd like to add in the X-wing power control stuff too. Then it's giving a player the ability to control the ships. Then a mission loop - Launch, flight, nav points, land. We'll see how burned out I am at that point. :P
here's the current state - runs in the browser and on phones!

http://www.hedfiles.net/WCR_GL/index.html

Thanks!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 01, 2021, 08:21:01 am
Thanks! I went ahead and made another dude.
This is Capt "Conan" Doyle, one of the senior pilots on the Tolmacs-class light carrier you'll serve on in the campaign. As always, it's a straight 3DSMax render, no editing. :D

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 01:57:37 pm
Funny looking guy! xD
He looks just like someone that's going to debrief us in our missions.

Saw the demo, that's looking super slick. Very "authentic"... If I didn't know it was a new game, I would absolutely think it was from the mid-90s.
I love all the Star Wars stuff you've been posting on your Youtube channel too, by the way. So awesome.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 05:26:01 pm
Thanks! And yeah - too funny, I think. :P
"Conan" was too cartoony, and I decided to do one more, callsign "Chef" Any and all feedback is wonderful.

Enjoy!