AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platformer Mock-up  (Read 5672 times)

Offline TomF

• View Profile

[WIP] Platformer Mock-up

on: March 06, 2007, 06:59:00 pm
Hey there! I'm working on a reasonably small platform game. Well actually it isn't really a standard platformer, it's basically a whole game based around the Mario Bros Battle games. Quite similar to a game called Bonkheads if anyone has ever played that.

The main character as you can probably tell, is very much a WIP. I'm not even sure what to do with him. Also the rocky background is causing me some problems, every time I try to add the highlights it just ends up looking terrible. I'd really appreciate some feedback from you guys, suggestions and edits are welcomed!  :)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer Mock-up

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:26:17 am
Super smash bros? with like.. link, pokemon, metroid, and all the nintendo characters.

What I think you should do is make it look.. uh less fake and try to make the enviorment more realistic.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:20:21 am
Make the background more sky-like. Clouds, the sun, all that stuff. Making the game more environmental will give it tons more character.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:20:28 am
Super smash bros? with like.. link, pokemon, metroid, and all the nintendo characters.

What I think you should do is make it look.. uh less fake and try to make the enviorment more realistic.
Mario Bros. was like, before Super Mario Bros., much less SSM. It was a single screen game where enemies (koopas and such) came out of warp pipes on either side of the screen and it was your duty as Mario/Luigi to dispatch of the sewer beasts ASAP.

Also, a realistic style would hardly be fitting. That would mess with the charm of this thang. This is one instance where when the person says "That's the style," that's the style.

Aight, then.

I like the tiles (for the most part) so far. But what's with the division line in the platforms? Looks wacky. And unless your BG is going to be black, I don't think that having the grass fade to black would make much sense. I hope you're going to add as much detail to those bushes as you did to the rest of the bg? But first, make them match the perspective of the platforms, or at least make them vertically offset a bit. If they're tufts of grass, then they look :/, so you might wanna work on that a bit.
The character looks odd. I'm not sure what it is, though.
I really like the dirt just above the water though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:41:30 am by Xion »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:19:16 am
I would up the contrast of the bushes as well, the flowers seem to pop out nicely but the bushes don't seem to match (another highlight maybe?). I wont go into the character too much as he/she/it has a lot of flaws, but the pose seems a little awkward mainly because of his back leg. It should be much less angular and then jut out to make his foot.

EDIT: also highlights on the bushes will raise the noise (detail level) of them. This will be good as the bushes behind them are noisier and seeming as you have already defined the background as silhouettes the detail level should rise as it gets closer to the foreground for both unity sake and to draw attention from the background (it is a game mockup after all).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:25:16 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:39:40 am
Ok, cheers for the comments so far. Just a quick update:

Added trees and mountains, a little simple I know but I'll add more detail later. I WILL change those bushes as well. Changed the character (hopefully I'm on the right lines there), and added player 2 also.

Ive changed the platform slightly by using green in the middle rather than black. Xion, did you suggest that I remove the boarder entirely form those platforms? The reason I made them stand out so much was so that players know exactly which block they will hit.

I know the style is rediculously cute/cartooney, but I'm content that it fits the style of gameplay.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:21:15 pm
I made an edit of your character, he seemed lit from a side, which looks bad when flipped, because the lightsource magically changes. I lit him from the top so it doesn't look so bad in that case. I also tried to bring his features out a little more, hope it helps.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 08:49:43 pm
Hey setz man I really appreciate that, Thank you.  :y:

Probably wont update again till the weekend, I'm rather busy at the moment. I will try and get a demo out as soon as possible though.