AuthorTopic: WIP: Milber 3 Mockup  (Read 9654 times)

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

WIP: Milber 3 Mockup

on: March 05, 2007, 04:12:05 am
Hey all,

Just something i've been working on for the past few days. I'm happy with most of it except the dirt tiles which need to be fixed because of the glaring patterns and tile visibility. Any other suggestions as to what I could add to brighten up the first world would be great :).

This is the starting area for the player and will eventually have houses you can enter to speak to people and upgrade your skills etc.

Edit: there are two layers of parallax scrolling at the moment. The background hills are static and stay in that view, while the distant platforms move along slowly when the player is moving in the foreground.

Also, I designed the character about 5 years ago and wanted to stick with the Milber tradition of a ball with an afro >_> From what I can remember from my original design is that he belongs to a race called the Milberries....or something *you can kill me now*
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:14:22 am by RhysD »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: WIP: Milber 3 Mockup

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:50:34 am
Very nice work. The foreground layer seems to need more contrast (low contrast works well on the background to give it some "fogged" appearance, but in my opinion the foreground layer should be much darker in its dark areas ;) )

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:01:41 am
if you want to add more color, you can add things like flowers or plants, fruit etcetera..
I'd also add more variety to the tiles though as alot seems repetative, so basically more variations would help

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:24:47 am
Thanks for the feedback all, will attempt to fix it up a bit tonight. You can't see it at the moment but there is also a rock object (similar to the one in the background). I might do up a few bushes and flowers though.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:08:13 pm
Wow man, Massive improvement over Milber 2. I have 2 suggestions for you, firstly as philipptr said, make the foreground a little darker. Secondly, I would de-saturate the colours just a lil bit. But yeah, looking good man, keep us informed on how its going.  :y:

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:42:51 pm
I would personally change nothing about the colours. I agree some more variation with the tiles would be good, especially since those ground ones are shown so much. And yeah, red flowers and fruit would add a nice colour injection.

And there we go with my recycled comments post.  :y:

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:15:41 pm
I'm confused about the tree.  Shouldn't the light leaves be at the top, so it gets darker at the bottom, giving it a rounder look?

I like this though.  I too think the contrast in the foreground could be upped.  The difference is too big with that black line.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 06:28:58 am
Small update. Made a new dirt tile and added a variation of it with some rocks missing. Also made the colours a tad darker and added some contrast.

Edit 2: added some more level objects. I don't know if i'm heading in the right direction, it's starting to flesh-out the level a bit now though.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:02:21 pm by RhysD »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 04:18:12 pm
I was wrong, awesome update, great how you fleshed out those foreground tiles. I find those dark bushes a tad distracting thoughs. KUTGW.

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 04:44:38 pm
I really don't like the dirt that you made... I prefer the older one, dirt isn't supposed to catch our attention...
And lighten a bit those bushes...
Nice piece you got
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT