AuthorTopic: Running Wild! Anim  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Running Wild! Anim

on: March 07, 2007, 05:08:56 am
12 frames
I made this a little while ago, it has some flaws, like the feet that "shake" at the end of each step cycle, so I would like to see what you people can help me with here on finding more things to improve.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:11:20 am by Ricco, the Pirate »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Running Wild! Anim

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:48:31 am
Very nice and fluid. Very nice.
But...
The arms are really short. It goes like shoulder ---> wrist.
The body jerks up. If someone really ran with that kind of bob, they'd get a headache so fast. Try making the vertical motion smoother.
The legs/feet don't really seem to be pushing off the ground so much as...skimming along. I think this would be partially fixed with the vertical motion thing, but you've got to make sure he actually pushes. Puuush, man. Like, the dude weighs something, and he's pushing against the ground, so it shouldn't be so much a walk cycle with a bigger stride as a struggle against gravity and ground. Well, you don't have to make it that dramatic, but you know, you know? Hope that made sense.
Another thing is that the feet are exactly the same, which kinda loses some of the depth.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:49:30 am
i think the arms are bent so that they look shorter...

it looks very good and seems to have allot of charicter about it, someone who is very determined. i think you should darken the back foot slightly to add more depth as said before
also when the foot closest to us goes backwards, i think the coat thing goes a bit dodgy, it should go back a bit higher up i beleive.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:30:54 pm
It's really weird when he brings his leg forward, and then it's only his lower leg that moves.  It makes his legs look like they are getting longer.  And the way you just reverse the frame for when he starts bringing his leg back... when the foot is on the ground and going back, his leg should be nearly straight, think closer to a bicycle, with a circular motion.  His body should move up each time a leg of his is on the ground (directly below him), not just for one of the legs like it is now, it makes it seem like he has a limp.  (well, I guess he does go up twice, but on one side it's quicker than the other)  Also, it doesn't make sense how his head moves backward for one leg and not the other, it should be the same for each side.

I think there should be more air time, where no feet are on the ground.  Also, the timing could use work, less frames for when his feet are on the ground, more when his feet are at the outer extremes, when running the feet move much faster while pushing against the ground, but have to slow down to switch direction at the extremes.  Right now it seems very slow because the movement of the feet is so evenly spaced.  You've got this basic idea down pretty well with the arms, actually, you just need to translate it down to the legs. 

The arms are really short.

Overall this is pretty good, but still problematic.  Its got a nice style