AuthorTopic: Guardian of Paradise  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Guardian of Paradise

on: February 22, 2007, 02:56:11 pm
I was browsing around and I found this game on some freeware site, thought I'd share it here, because of the beauty and professionalism of the graphics in this game, even though it's free. But it's really more than that, if you play it you'll probably find out soon enough. I haven't gotten too far, but the gameplay is solid and you probably won't even tell it's freeware--It plays very similar to Zelda. Anyways, the real reason I brought it here was to share the graphics, which are probably not amazing compared to some of the stuff here, but after playing the game and seeing more of the stuff in the game, it really amazed me that it was all designed, coded and art done by one person. I was going to suggest it in the CC thread(even though it's not really commercial, but neither was cave story), but it was closed, and I decided anyways that the art really isn't anything to learn from, but just to appreciate.
Here's the link to it and some screenshots(Make sure you download the translation patch after):
http://agtp.romhack.net/rakuga.html

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Guardian of Paradise

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:15:54 pm
looks nice, I'll definitely give it a try
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:44:08 pm
It`s made by the same guy who made Akuji The Demon if I`m not mistaken. That game also had great pixel art and is well worth playing.

Jason.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:45:19 pm
Ya, I forgot to mention that. Buster is the name the guy goes by. Both are great games.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:57 pm
heh, funny mistake, if you compare the floor tiles in the different environments, all of them are pixeled with a certain amount of perspective, except for the first four screens which are purely top down - it looks really weird!  the rest look nice though - some of his tiles and choices remind me of chaos engine quite a bit.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 12:49:46 am
the first four aren't entirely topdown, the pillars are in perspective, but the water pools have no far ledge, really weird. :S

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 01:15:38 am
yeah i meant the floor tiles and ledges specifically - they're at odd with the walls and sprites.  The rest of the environments seem to have nailed it though!

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 04:41:13 am
Adam, you're relying on the assumption that the floor pattern is of tilted squares and circles when it could actually be of foreshortened diamonds and ovals ;)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 05:03:19 am
Hehe, I played this not too long ago. Fun game. Looks like he's missing a few tiles for the outside corners of the floor-meets-water tiles in the Water Palace (or whatever) place.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:50:10 am
Adam, you're relying on the assumption that the floor pattern is of tilted squares and circles when it could actually be of foreshortened diamonds and ovals ;)

its all in the way you look at things.
which could be true lawrence ;)
http://www.2loop.com/3drooms.html