AuthorTopic: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship  (Read 17598 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship

Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 04:37:09 am
It has basic UV texturing functionality, which would perhaps be adequate for a simple model of a hundred polygons or so, but it's quite a pain even then compared to Blender (IMHO).

I find that Wings' UV mapping is remarkably fast even on very large models.  They were one of the first modeling programs (and the first free modeler) to implement pelting (which is where you auto-UV your model by defining seams) and their implementation is quite good I think.  If you know blenders interface I would say they are about on par, only blender has snap-to-pixel which can be very handy especially for low res stuff.  If you don't know blenders interface, I think you will find Wings to be much easier!

Offline Noiprox

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 01:06:43 pm
Actually Wings3D just has a straightforward implementation of Least-Squares Conformal Maps for its AutoUV feature. Blender indeed supports LSCM's, but defaults to a variant of Angle-Based Flattening called ABF++, which is state-of-the-art as of 2005 (incidentally that research was done by one of my profs :D). So Blender is far ahead of Wings3D in this feature set. That said, Wings3D has its virtues. It has great workflow, which may make it more efficient for tasks that do not require the full power of Blender, or for modelling and then exporting to Blender to finish the job.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 09:08:25 pm
quicksilver...you cant make a tutorial how to do that can you ._.? for gmax
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 09:34:40 pm
Actually Wings3D just has a straightforward implementation of Least-Squares Conformal Maps for its AutoUV feature. Blender indeed supports LSCM's, but defaults to a variant of Angle-Based Flattening called ABF++, which is state-of-the-art as of 2005 (incidentally that research was done by one of my profs :D). So Blender is far ahead of Wings3D in this feature set. That said, Wings3D has its virtues. It has great workflow, which may make it more efficient for tasks that do not require the full power of Blender, or for modelling and then exporting to Blender to finish the job.

Ah!  that's really interesting, thanks for that info man :)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 12:08:40 am
sure :) i posted a wip in the OT-Creativity Thread last week, plus i have some other models im working on.

looking forward to see your next model btw ;)

I just saw your tank and car on your site, man there so hot!

Quiksilva - very nice piece, would quite like to see an enemy ship in this style :D

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 06:51:15 pm
Elk : If I get some spare time I will put together a simple tutorial although it will not be specific to one single 3D package just something general.

Feron : Thanks for the kind comments :)

I`m currently working on my next model but I haven`t had much time to work on it lately :( I will post it up though as soon as it gets finished.

Jason.