AuthorTopic: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship  (Read 17446 times)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Re: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:21:15 am
Thanks. I ask because I'd be interested in doing something like Kenneth's and your work as well, but I'm not exactly willing to shell out money for such a high-end application (+ huge learning process?) if I only want to be able to experiment with low poly models and stuff, heh.  ;)

I think Kenneth uses 3DS Max and there used to be a free version of it around called GMax that I'm sure has all the feature you'd need for something like this. Apparently Autodesk doesn't offer it anymore but I found it here > http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

As for the picture I think it looks really quite well done and well.... "cute". I'm curious to see a video of someone modeling one of these low poly pixel models.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:20:10 am
I'm curious to see a video of someone modeling one of these low poly pixel models.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 01:30:08 pm
There are plenty of free\cheap 3D apps out there that you could use to get similar results but be warned, there is quite a big learning curve if you`re new to 3D modelling. The process is also a fairly lengthy one (especially the unwraping part) so be prepared to invest a fair bit of time. I may make a step by step process of my next model if there is enough demand for one, I`ll see how time goes.

Although I cannot provide a video at the moment if anyone wants any tips on any part of the creation process then please feel free to ask.

Jason.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:33:30 pm by QuickSilva »

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 02:02:31 pm
Thanks. I ask because I'd be interested in doing something like Kenneth's and your work as well, but I'm not exactly willing to shell out money for such a high-end application (+ huge learning process?) if I only want to be able to experiment with low poly models and stuff, heh.  ;)

I can really recommend Wings 3D. I don't know how well it handles textures but it's awesome (better than 3d studio max) for low poly modeling.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 02:14:08 pm
when last i checked, Gmax and Wings didn't handle textures..?  (without a number of expanders and plugins and other apps)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 02:56:49 pm
You could try Milkshape: http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/

It's very cheap, it supports textures and animation and you can export to many different games. I've used it to make custom Quake 3 characters with.  :)

It's also much, MUCH easier to learn how to use than most other 3d programs, because of the simple toolset. Basically, it has all the tools you need for lowpoly modeling, but without any extras.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 03:10:55 pm
when last i checked, Gmax and Wings didn't handle textures..?  (without a number of expanders and plugins and other apps)

No, but it's a damn nice modeler  ;)
Blender looks rather nice too. I haven't tried it myself though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:16:44 pm by Mr.Modem »
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 04:02:36 pm
Wings handles textures, at least the version I downloaded off their website does.  I haven't tried using the tools for it extensively, but it definately has UV mapping.

Offline mprey

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 09:28:12 pm
A step-by-step thing would be really great, I'd appreciate it, if just to see how much work would actually be involved, and how much technical skill is required.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:27 am
wings handles textures just fine, it just doesn't do alpha/z-trans particularly well.  if your textures do not have any alpha then you'll be just fine!  however, wings does NOT have  animation or rendering capabilities (well technically it can render but its a pain in the ass).  I use wings for all my modeling and texturing, and then rig/animate/render in blender.