AuthorTopic: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship  (Read 17380 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship

on: March 03, 2007, 05:43:09 pm
After seeing Kenneth Fejer`s great pixelled 3D models recently and eagerly awaiting some more new ones I thought that I`d give it a go, boy what a mistake that was. Just kidding but it is a lot harder than it intially seems. Anyway I thought I`d post my effort here while I try to knock up a rotating animation for anyone who`s interested. I certainly learned heaps doing this and my next one will be much better now I know what I`m doing. I had to make a few sacrifices with this one as I ran out of texture space and didn`t plan properly in the beginning but all in all, even though not up to Kenneths high standards, I think it still looks pretty neat. Hope you like it.

(96 Polys)

Jason.

OK, I managed to grab an animation, here it is with an alternate colour version too. Enjoy!

And here is the texture. I tackled it in the standard way that you would with a 3D model but this turned out to be a bad choice in the long run as I wasted to much space. It did make the texture easier to paint but when you only have a small 64x64 texture space like this one I think Kenneth approach, although a tad more difficult to visualise, would probably be the best way to go. I`ll try that next time if anyone wants to see some more.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:34:50 pm by QuickSilva »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Kenneth Fejer Inspired 3D Pixel Ship

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:34:32 pm
nice work,
I tried doing one in the past but never managed to complete mine.. so i give you props for manageing one.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:38:36 pm
Very cool.  :y:
There are just a few things bugging me. The most blatant one is the cockpit which I think could go without the AA. Hard edges would have been much more fitting here, methinks. The other thing is the air intake (or whatever it is) part on the wing. I think it needs more contrast. Everything else is really cool though. I especially like the bottom.
Would you mind showing us the actual texture?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:14:24 pm
Wow, there's something about these that really appeals to me. Perhaps it's the general chunky, simple shape. I don't think i like the colour choices too much though. And yeah, i'd like to see the textchars.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:07:59 am
Sure, I`ll try and pop the texture and a wireframe up later. I agree with the comments made about the the window part too, I wanted to leave it as a hard edge but as I didn`t plan ahead properly when building the model and it just looked far too jagged, the pixels seem to get even more exaggerated when placed on a 3D model at this low resolution. If I had gone for some different angles then it would have come out a little better but you learn by doing I guess. You will see what I mean when I post the wireframe later. Also, with the texture I did it in a more conventional way which I thought would be easier than the way Kenneth did it, I now realise he did it this way for a reason and I wasted a lot of space that I could have used. Like I said, the next one should hopefully go smoother.

Jason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:26:32 pm by QuickSilva »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:07 am
Man, somehow, this is one of the cutest space ships I've seen in a while. I love the design and the alternate colour scheme. It just suits my tastes perfectly. I should try this sometime   :D
' _ '

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:58:58 pm
Thanks for all the kind comments. I`m looking forward to doing a few more, possibly with some animation. I`ve added the wireframe and texture up above if anyone is interested. Next time I will pack the texture tighter like Kenneth Fejer did to get a bit more detail and resolution in there. I was just experimenting with a few different techniques with this one.

Jason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:01:58 pm by QuickSilva »

Offline mprey

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 05:45:25 pm
Just curious, what did you model this with?

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 07:51:00 pm
LightWave and Promotion for the texture.

Jason.

Offline mprey

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:45 pm
Thanks. I ask because I'd be interested in doing something like Kenneth's and your work as well, but I'm not exactly willing to shell out money for such a high-end application (+ huge learning process?) if I only want to be able to experiment with low poly models and stuff, heh.  ;)