AuthorTopic: RPG Sprite  (Read 3383 times)

Offline konix

• View Profile

RPG Sprite

on: February 28, 2007, 02:22:27 am

This is a template I've been working on for some RPG sprites. I'm pretty satisfied with the lineart, but I'm not too sure about the coloring (the back views in particular). Any suggestions?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: RPG Sprite

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:43:17 am
The selout to black is far too harsh.
The back of the head looks very flat. This might be remedied with a hilight or some hair.
The back in general looks flat. It's as though you have the lightsource rotating along with him so it stays in front of him. That doesn't make much sense in a game world. For the straight-on views, I think his feet could be moved 1px apart. The front-facing diagonal looks like he's leaning/about to fall over sideways. Try making the far leg straight.
Nice, though. Keep it up.

Offline konix

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 03:42:14 am
Thanks for the crits. I've updated the sprite and started on its walking animations.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:54:10 pm

Small edit, but you should take it much further than what I did. If you're going to use 8 frames for a simple walk cycle, make as much unique frames as possible.

Same number of frames, using unique frames...

Offline konix

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 04:52:02 am
I've updated the front facing animation

I've also done the side animation

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:21:25 am
Maybe his head is one pixel too tall. Also on the side facing sprite, the dark pixels on the nose seem to imply that you an see his other
eye, giving impression head is turned slightly (maybe make more pixels behind ear for 'side' on impression).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi