AuthorTopic: Sprites for a "2.5D" jump'n'run  (Read 4125 times)

Offline RomanH

• View Profile

Sprites for a "2.5D" jump'n'run

on: March 01, 2007, 08:10:00 pm
Hello everybody

I'm very much a pixel-art noob and come here for advice. Please let me know if this is not the correct place to ask.

I'm working on a kind of jump'n'run seen "from an angle" (it uses the same perspective as "Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga"). So, it's kind of a pseudo 3D jump and run. The biggest challenge for me are the sprites as the player has 8 possible directions to move (and of course the player can jump, etc).

How do you make different "directions" that look correct? Do you start with outlines and a trial & error approach or is there a trick?
And what can I do to make the character look cartoonish and cheerful? Is it just the colours?

Below is my first version of the player (looking south and a first walk-frame).

I would be very thankful for any kind of critique and comments!

thanks!

RomanH

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: Sprites for a "2.5D" jump'n'run

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 09:59:20 pm
Here's a bit of an edit on the shirt to give it a nice highlight I think it looks a bit better.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:05:52 pm
Uhh... Why did you expand the image so much? Why isn't the background color consistent?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:07:49 pm
...and why is it a jpg...

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:25:15 pm
and why am i asking the same thing as the ones who replied before me?

Anyway.. what do you mean with 2.5D?.. There is no such thing.. If you truly know what dimensions are..

Offline Chris_Alex

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:35:50 pm
Anyway.. what do you mean with 2.5D?.. There is no such thing.. If you truly know what dimensions are..

Games like Klonoa 1/2 are reffered commonly as 2.5D.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on the other has nothing to do with it; think of Zelda perspective, but add jumps.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:04:55 am

Games like Klonoa 1/2 are reffered commonly as 2.5D.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on the other has nothing to do with it; think of Zelda perspective, but add jumps.

Ah i understand, but i still find it pretty dumb to really call it 2.5D :P. Since it doesn't make sense, and its fairly impossible :P.

But anyway.. I would shorten those legs and make the feet smaller.. to make the perspective a bit more.. realistic.

Offline RomanH

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:32:28 pm
Thanks for the feedback (and the edit!)

I call it 2.5D because - from the programming perspective - there is no real z-dimension in the game. If I want to make the character to appear to be higher off the ground I just change the y-position of the character on the screen, leaving the shadow where it was. (I hope this is understandable)  :)

However, since I've decided to make the tile-size 32x32 I've also decided to be "standard compliant" with my sprites as well and completely restart with doing them 24x32 pixels. (I've only just found Shuku's tutorial on RPG character design at http://www.spriteart.com/)

I will post the new sprites once I have something to show (maybe with a screenshot of the game)

Thanks!

RomanH

BTW: yes, it is a zelda-like perspective.