AuthorTopic: Adventure Game Studio  (Read 11007 times)

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Adventure Game Studio

on: October 10, 2005, 02:16:39 pm
 I was feeling nostalgic today and started looking up some point and click adventure games.
I started playing them at a very young age and I missed spending hours figuring them out.
Well I stumbled upon something called "Adventure Game Studio"
and at first I thought "Ok this is just basically a playerworlds thing for point and click games."
Boy, was I wrong. I downloaded some games made with that engine and they were actually
not bad. Some of them were really funny.

I was suprised that I had never heard of this thing before or any of the games that
had been made with it being the point and click junkie that I am. I'm curious to find out  if anyone
here has made any games with it, or has attempted to use this engine to make games with. I'd also like
to share the knowledge of its existence and some of the wonderful games that have been made with it.

Here's the website:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

Here are some games I recommend playing that are made using it:

Cirque de zale http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?action=detail&id=377

I can't find the link for it but "5 days a stranger" was good although short.
(Edit: Its 5 days a stranger...I made a mistake and put "Days")

I'm not sure on the limitations of this engine (colors, if there's a restricted palette etc)
but when I have time I'll probably check it out. It might be cool to see some people from pixelopolis
making games with this :D I may even attempt to myself if there isn't too much hands on programming involved.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 09:01:37 am by FaeryShivers »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Adventure Game Studio

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:29:52 am
Neat, I have the most incredibly soft spot for adventure games, and I'll definitely be checking this out when I get some time.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:32:28 am
Hahaha, AGS was so fun to play with.

There was a series that was funny in particular, but I can't seem to find it. It was probably one of the most common ones. Can't find it though, and it's buggin' the hell outta me.

Thanks a lot...

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 02:29:17 am
Reality on the Norm?

I remember that there were a few people back on the purple forums that were involved with making those games.  Actually, it might have just been Astrospoon.  I don't know.
rip ninjalicious

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:31:55 am
YES!

Jesus Christ, it took a long time to figure that one out. Thank you!

+10 e-props.

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 05:03:51 am
Neat, I have the most incredibly soft spot for adventure games, and I'll definitely be checking this out when I get some time.

Are you familiar with the Kings quest series? If you are there was this huge fan project being made
for King's quest 9 but it was shut down of course just in time for Sierra to release their KQ compilation.
It was amazing how far they got and how nice it looked. It appears as though the screenshots were taken down yesterday
though :( they were fine yesterday morning.Sierra had every right to shut them down but its still sad considering how much work was put into it :

www.KQIX.COM

Edit:

Ok I've been playing around with this thing for a bit now and wow...there's just so much stuff you can do.
You can have an 8 bit, 16 bit or 32 bit palette so that answers my questions/concerns.
I haven't figured out the dialogue scripting yet but everythings pretty straightforward otherwise.

onoes another edit:

I found a game that says it was made by "helm" could this be helm from pixelation?

http://atticwindow.adventuredevelopers.com/images/sol.gif <-------------
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:44:44 am by FaeryShivers »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:44:26 pm
Helm indeed made that game, i remember him posting about it one time >_>

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 07:20:34 pm
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 10:29:15 pm
yeah that's me. I still make AGS games. The AGS community is probably the nicest and most jerk-free community of those revolving around game-making engines. It's my original home on the internets.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 12:18:52 am

Are you familiar with the Kings quest series? If you are there was this huge fan project being made
for King's quest 9 but it was shut down of course just in time for Sierra to release their KQ compilation.
It was amazing how far they got and how nice it looked. It appears as though the screenshots were taken down yesterday
though :( they were fine yesterday morning.Sierra had every right to shut them down but its still sad considering how much work was put into it :

www.KQIX.COM

Not too familiar with it, but it does look cool. Shame about them getting shut down, but Sierra had to do it. I do hope they put their energy towards their own ideas and characters, though. They look like they have some real talent.

I'm playing 5 Days a Stranger right now. It's pretty cool haunted house mystery story, not too difficult but pretty fun.

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 06:30:44 am
yeah that's me. I still make AGS games. The AGS community is probably the nicest and most jerk-free community of those revolving around game-making engines. It's my original home on the internets.

I was poking around their forums and yeah they, seem like a nice group of people. I've heard its hard to make
cutscenes with AGS without being a good scripter, is this true? Is there anyway to import a cutscene "animation" that
just plays instead of being scripted using the game sprites? I'd love to make a game in my spare time but I'm afraid I'm terrible at scripting and programming.

To Crab:

5 days a stranger actually freaked me out somewhat, the person tells the story very well.
Make sure you try "No action Jackson" as well, its very good.

Many people have expressed their interest to the KQIX group
that they would be interested if they did  their own game. So hopefully they do.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 05:06:09 pm
you can import a gif pretty much as is and play it as an animation, or you could play a .fli or even .avi if I remember correctly. But all these will take much more space than if you scripted the cutscene in-game ( which I agree is not so much difficult as is it tedious as ags doesn't have a what you see is what you get type of animation editor, and you have to eyeball coordinates and timing until you've got them right)

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:29 pm
you should try the sequel next 7(6?) days a skeptic. I won't give away anything, but it's definitely got something a tad more frightening than the first. I'm downloading Action jackson now. Heh, I've got at least 10 of these now, soon to have more.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 02:32:00 am
get Rode Kill, Aaron's Epic Journey, Tulle's World 4, hmm 6 day assassin, might like my recent stuff like Caverns or Gladiator Quest

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 05:47:18 am
you should try the sequel next 7(6?) days a skeptic. I won't give away anything, but it's definitely got something a tad more frightening than the first. I'm downloading Action jackson now. Heh, I've got at least 10 of these now, soon to have more.

yeah I heard it was even more freaky. The "Oh father" scene in 5 days a stranger was what creeped me out.

Thanks helm! Thats great to know. I'll try the scripting and if its beyond my capabilities I'll try the movies.
I have to finish up a current side project I'm doing and then I may try an adventure game myself. I'm not sure
what audience I would want to target though, I'd love to target the old fans of point and click adventures
but still incorporate my style into it. I'm just not sure how many point and click adventure players like animeish stuff.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 09:23:44 pm
...might like my recent stuff like Caverns or Gladiator Quest
I'm having trouble finding them. The links that I've found via google are all dead. You know where I can find them?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 10:15:10 pm
oh yeah, server crashed, we lost everything there, dead links. Oh well, I guess nobody will get to play them again.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 10:29:38 pm
Since we're talking about Adventure games, I thought I would post some links to some flash adventure gmaes I've enjoyed

http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/arcane/home.jsp Arcane, probably one of the most polished adventure games I've come across.
http://www.flashplayer.com/games/elmstreet.html Might like this if you're a fan of Nightmare From Elm Street.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/173654 In this one you're a ghost who needs to find out who he is.

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?filename=/freefun/Free_Fun_Online.htm&articleType=Free+Fun Got this during a google, it seems like a nice list of flash adventure games. Only played a few, so I can't say whether they're any good or not.