AuthorTopic: [WIP] Terrible Hills  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Terrible Hills

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 02:02:57 am
No! Neither of those!
Okay, lemme try again: Don't dither it until you have all the shading 'blocked out', meaning no dithering on the object until you have the shadows defined.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 04:21:07 am
I'm not sure what you're aiming for but it still looks like you're in four year old mode.  Shading a green blob isn't really helpful in learning anything.

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 02:50:38 pm
What happened to your other one?

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:25 pm

Tried to make a very very fast edit, with following changes:
- changed the greens a bit (more contrast, a small hue shift)
- reshaped the hills and tried to seperate them a bit more
- removed any dithering (1.would have taken longer 2. imo you should start dithering when you're happy with the shading)
- reshaded the hills
- added some colour for the sky
- added one buffer color for antialiasing
- removed darkest green since I didn't need it for this approach at shading
- removed sun (didn't fit into my background / doesn't work with this horizontal stripe thing)

I hope it helps a bit. Its still far from perfect but like I said it was a very very fast edit ;)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 05:47:49 pm
This is a major improvement, great work philipptr!
I would say the next thing you should do is some selective dithering--don't go all out, but have some as compared to none...I would suggest some dithering between brightest and next brightest at least, and some dithering on the right most hill between the dark shade and the middle one.
If you were feeling up to it, I'd say that you could increase the depth by using grey-er, less saturated greens on the farthest back mountain, and maybe add little clouds close to the horizon and maybe a bigger one up higher.
Like I said earlier, this is amazing compared to what it started as, and if you go further, it would be even more so.

Keep pixelling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 05:49:25 pm
Er...I think he isn't the one who started, is he ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 06:20:46 pm by fil_razorback »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 06:06:54 pm
Oh my god! My bad  :-[....
I'm so very sorry madartiststan; let me try to undo my damage...

You are on the right track with the low color count, but they should maybe be a bit more dynamic--in other words, each color should hold more weight.  Your middle green is good, but you could change out one of the slightly darker greens for a more dramatically darker green. Since grass is soft, you don't want the highlight to be too bright, you are doing good there.
Depending on how deep or shallow you want the picture to look, it's all going to depend on how you separate each hill.  If you want a very vast looking landscape, like what philipptr's edit is going for, you are going to want each hill to be separated with strong dark greens and highlights; but if you are going for a more immediate look to the hills, you are on the right track by keeping each hill close together.
Regardless to the depth you are trying to get though, I would suggest a more gradient sky, because the one bright blue is causing a more "overcast" effect than sky...if nothing else, maybe make the sky a bit more dark and rich.
As for the sun; I wouldn't remove it, as philiptr did, but rather, I'd move it to be behind horizon, half showing--I've never realistically saw a sun in the corner of the picture, but I have seen them on the horizon.

As the piece stands, it's faulty in a few places, but hopefully this and what others said can guide you to make it a bit more solid.  Either way, keep pixelling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 09:50:40 pm
Thanks everyone for the crits. And here's a NEW edit. I tried to go more in the direction Phillip was going in.  :)

I think it's looking better.